<MP>Wednesday, 26 December 2007

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:01:06 -0600

M E R R Y    C H R I S T M A S
I hope your Christmas was wonderful!  It was beautiful here at Saint
Patrick's, with thousands of peopled joining us to celebrate Christmas. It
was great to be able to celebrate Mass at Onalaska Care Center on Christmas
Eve as well.  I just returned from Christmas with my family, including a
four-year-old, a six-year-old and four Boston Terriers.  It was an
adventure!  May we always know the Lord's presence with us.  What a
wonderful Feast we celebrated this Christmas Day!

H A V E   A   W O N D E R F U L   C H R I S T M A S    S E A S O N
Visit my Christmas page for new desktop wallpaper, our Christmas card to
you, a photo of Father Pat and his sister in Santa's lap, lots of Christmas
links and much more.  Just follow the banner link
from:  www.frpat.com

     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Stephen (d. 36 A.D.?)
Good King Wenceslaus went out, on the Feast of Stephen.  That's today,
December 26th!

All we know of Stephen is found in Acts of the Apostles, chapters six and
seven. It is enough to tell us what kind of man he was: At that time, as the
number of disciples continued to grow, the Hellenist (Greek-speaking)
Christians complained about the Hebrew-speaking Christians, saying that
their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. So the Twelve
called together the community of the disciples and said, "It is not right
for us to neglect the word of God to serve at table. Brothers, select from
among you seven reputable men, filled with the Spirit and wisdom, whom we
shall appoint to this task, whereas we shall devote ourselves to prayer and
to the ministry of the word." The proposal was acceptable to the whole
community, so they chose Stephen, a man filled with faith and the Holy
Spirit.... (Acts 6:1-5)  For more, click the link below:

The witnesses laid down their cloaks at the feet of a young man named Saul.
As they were stoning Stephen, he called out
"Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."  ~Acts 6:8-10; 7:54-59

Brother will hand over brother to death, and the father his child; children
will rise up against parents and have them put to death. You will be hated
by all because of my name, but whoever endures to the end will be saved."
~Matthew 10:17-22

As we bask in the glory and wonder of Christmas, the Feast of Saint Stephen
shows us that discipleship is not easy. Still, we can remember that we're
never alone.  God has come to be with us, His people.  He will fill us with
courage, love and wisdom as we continue the work of His Son, now born into
our world and our hearts.

I pray that I may know the Lord's presence with me in good times and
challenging times as well.  I pray that I may never be afraid.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Sue asks for prayers for herself as she tries again to wean off anti-anxiety
medicines.