<MP>Wednesday, 24 June 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 00:01:23 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Nativity of John the Baptist
Jesus called John the greatest of all those who had preceded him: "I tell
you, among those born of women, no one is greater than John...." But John
would have agreed completely with what Jesus added: "[Yet the least in the
kingdom of God is greater than he" (Luke 7:28). John spent his time in the
desert, an ascetic. He began to announce the coming of the Kingdom, and to
call everyone to a fundamental reformation of life. His purpose was to
prepare the way for Jesus. His Baptism, he said, was for repentance. But One
would come who would baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire. John is not
worthy even to carry his sandals. His attitude toward Jesus was: "He must
increase; I must decrease" (John 3:30).  For more, follow the link below:

John heralded his coming by proclaiming a baptism of repentance to all the
people of Israel; and as John was completing his course, he would say, 'What
do you suppose that I am? I am not he. Behold, one is coming after me; I am
not worthy to unfasten the sandals of his feet.' ~Acts 13:22-26

When they came on the eighth day to circumcise the child, they were going to
call him Zechariah after his father,
but his mother said in reply, "No. He will be called John." But they
answered her, "There is no one among your relatives who has this name."
~Luke 1:57-66, 80

He simply pointed the way.  John the Baptist was an extraordinary person and
could have claimed to be the Messiah to come.  Yet he continued to remind
people, " ... one is coming after me; I am not worthy to unfasten the
sandals of his feet." And people repented and got ready for the coming of
the Messiah.

I pray that I may be humble, like John.  I pray that I may point the way to
the Messiah through my example.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Annette asks prayers for a friend who has recently been diagnosed with a
very serious cancer. Todd, wife, and children need prayers to be united as a
family. Tina asks prayers for her husband, who is facing major challenges in
his job, that things will improve and he will once again enjoy his life's
work.

A mother requests prayers for her son to conquer alcoholism and remain going
to Church and find peace. Peter from NY  requests prayer for his wife who is
having a difficult time recovering from hip replacement surgery. Marie
requests prayers for her best friend who is having multiple health and
personal problems that are starting to overwhelm her and cause her despair.

Nancy asks prayers for a special intention. Jill asks prayers for a special
intention.