<MP>Wednesday, 23 April 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:06:00 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

We'll visit Southern Italy, Assisi, Rome and the Vatican from 10-21 November
2008.  $2699 from Chicago or $2899 from La Crosse, Wisconsin. The brochure
is available in Church or on-line.  Just follow the link from: www.frpat.com

St. George
If Mary Magdalene was the victim of misunderstanding, George is the object
of a vast amount of imagination. There is every reason to believe that he
was a real martyr who suffered at Lydda in Palestine, probably before the
time of Constantine. The Church adheres to his memory, but not to the
legends surrounding his life. For more, follow the link below:

Some who had come down from Judea were instructing the brothers, "Unless you
are circumcised according to the Mosaic practice, you cannot be saved."
~Acts 15:1-6

Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine,
so neither can you unless you remain in me. ~John 15:1-8

The early Christian Church is challenged by the Mosaic practice of
circumcision and the disciples gather to call upon the Holy Spirit to help
them decide on the matter.  Sometimes we think we can be a good Christian
all on our own.  Jesus reminds us that he is the vine and we are the
branches.  When we remain part of the vine that is Christ, we build the
Church.  When we do so, we can bear fruit!

I pray that I may rely on the Holy Spirit and the leaders of my Church to
set a strong course for us to follow.  I pray that I may not try to go it
alone as a Christian, but become part of the vine.  I pray that the Church
may grow stronger and bear good fruit partly because I'm part of that vine!