<MP>Wednesday, 20 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:05:08 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Only TWELVE seats remain.
   10-22 November 2008

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   *** All but FOUR seats we're holding from La Crosse have already been
taken.
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

St. Bernard of Clairvaux (1091-1153)
Man of the century! Woman of the century! You see such terms applied to so
many today-"golfer of the century," "composer of the century," "right tackle
of the century"-that the line no longer has any punch. But the "man of the
twelfth century," without doubt or controversy, has to be Bernard of
Clairvaux. Adviser of popes, preacher of the Second Crusade, defender of the
faith, healer of a schism, reformer of a monastic Order, Scripture scholar,
theologian and eloquent preacher: any one of these titles would distinguish
an ordinary man. Yet Bernard was all of these-and he still retained a
burning desire to return to the hidden monastic life of his younger days.
For more, follow the link below:

Thus says the Lord GOD: I swear I am coming against these shepherds. I will
claim my sheep from them and put a stop to their shepherding my sheep so
that they may no longer pasture themselves. I will save my sheep, that they
may no longer be food for their mouths. For thus says the Lord GOD: I myself
will look after and tend my sheep. ~Ezekiel 34:1-11

He said to one of them in reply, 'My friend, I am not cheating you. Did you
not agree with me for the usual daily wage?
Take what is yours and go. What if I wish to give this last one the same as
you? Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money? Are you envious
because I am generous?' Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be
last." ~Matthew 20:1-16

We can think of ourselves first ... or, like Jesus, we can think first of
others. When we think of ourselves first we can easily arrange things to
maximize what we will receive. The workers in our Gospel too, were angry
because those who didn't work as long received the same as they did.  We can
see that God's ways are not our ways, and that God's generosity is beyond
human comprehension.  Indeed many of those who seem to be last will be
first.

I pray that I may think of others before myself.  I pray that I may strive
to do God's work in His way without trying to figure out how much I am going
to get for it.  I pray that I may be comfortable with few rewards in this
world, knowing that those who seem to be last may very well end up first.