<MP>Wednesday, 18 March 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:39:53 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

S A I N T    P A T R I C K  /  S A I N T    J O S E P H
Visit my "March Saints" page for lots more about Saint Patrick (17 March)
and Saint Joseph (19 March).  Just follow the banner link!

L E N T    P A G E S
Visit my "Lent" page for lots of good information ....  a count-down 'til
Easter, Lenten Reconciliation (including a very portable "Credit Card to
Heaven" to take with you, an Examination of Conscience .... all you'll need
to go to Confession except the sins.  Visit our on-line Stations of the
Cross too, illustrated by the kids of Saint Pat's School.  Our Stations and
Reconciliation aids are available both in English and Spanish.  Follow the
link from: www.frpat.com

O N - L I N E    S T A T I O N S    O F    T H E     C R O S S
Visit my on-line Stations of the Cross.  I wrote the text for children and
adults alike.  The Stations were illustrated by the children of Saint Pat's
School. They're available in English and Spanish as well. Visit the Stations
every day during Lent.  I think you'll like them a great deal.
Here's the link: www.frpat.com/stations.htm

St. Cyril of Jerusalem (315?-386)
The crises that the Church faces today may seem minor when compared to the
Arian heresy, which denied the divinity of Christ and threatened to overcome
Christianity in the fourth century. Cyril was to be caught up in the
controversy, accused (later) of Arianism by St. Jerome, and ultimately
vindicated both by the men of his own time and by being declared a Doctor of
the Church in 1822. Raised in Jerusalem, well-educated, especially in the
Scriptures, he was ordained a priest by the bishop of Jerusalem and given
the task of catechizing during Lent those preparing for Baptism and during
the Easter season the newly baptized. His Catecheses remain valuable as
examples of the ritual and theology of the Church in the mid-fourth century.
For more, follow the link below:

Moses spoke to the people and said: "Now, Israel, hear the statutes and
decrees which I am teaching you to observe,
that you may live, and may enter in and take possession of the land which
the LORD, the God of your fathers, is giving you. ~Deuteronomy 4:1, 5-9

Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches
others to do so will be called least in the Kingdom of heaven. But whoever
obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the Kingdom
of heaven."  ~Matthew 5:17-19

Statutes ... decrees ... laws  ... commandments.  Many of us don't like to
be told what not to do.  But God's commandments are there in order to
protect us and provide for us ... to keep us safe. God made us, and He knows
what is best for us. We are called to keep God's commandments and to teach
others to do so by our example.  When we do this we will be called "greatest
in the Kingdom of heaven."

I pray that I may know and keep God's commandments.  I pray that I may
always lead by my own good example, that others may know and God's
commandments as well.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Bob requests prayers for a friend who has a mass in his head. Nancy from PA
offers prayers of Thanksgiving for the safe delivery of her new grandson
born on St. Patrick's Day, that he will always give honor to his name's
sake. Lisa asks prayers for a very special intention and for her family who
are going through a difficult time.

Tina asks prayers for healing for her Pastor who is in the hospital, and for
several special intentions for her family. We ask prayers for a high school
senior, for healing for a mass found in his chest. Carol asks prayers for a
special intention.

Veronica asks prayers for her son to be opened minded about career choices
in his future and for guidance for herself in self-employment endeavors.
Nancy asks prayers for a priest friend who is being treating unjustly.