<MP>Wednesday, 17 October 2007

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:18:41 -0500

S U R G E R Y
I'll be having eye surgery at Mayo Clinic (St. Mary's Hospital) in Rochester
today.  I'll be checking in at 7:30 a.m. Please keep me and Dr. Pulido in
your prayers!  I plan to be home again today!

     From Father Pat Umberger

Saint Ignatius of Antioch (d. 107)
Ignatius was a successor of Saint Peter as bishop of Antioch. He was
martyred in Rome under the Emperor Trajan. On his way to Rome he wrote seven
letters in which he discussed Christ, the structure of the Church, and
Christian life.  For more about Saint Ignatius, follow this link:

"By the standard by which you judge another you condemn yourself, since you,
the judge, do the very same things." ~Romans 2:1-11

"Lord, you give back to everyone according to his works." ~Psalm 62

Jesus said, "Woe also to you scholars of the law! You impose on people
burdens hard to carry, but you yourselves do not lift one finger to touch
them."

It is easy for us to become hypocrites.  We can be fooled into believing
that in accusing others, our faults will not become known.  We can come to
understand that when we point a finger at another, three fingers point back
toward us.

An aside:  Parents and teachers, in finding the guilty party, usually find
that party in the one talking the loudest and blaming others.

I pray that I can concentrate on changing what I can, mostly myself.  I pray
that I may remember that helping others begins with compassion and
understanding, not in accusing and blaming.