<MP>Wednesday, 14 October 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:26:26 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Callistus I (d. 223?)
The most reliable information about this saint comes from his enemy St.
Hippolytus, an early antipope, later a martyr for the Church. A negative
principle is used: If some worse things had happened, Hippolytus would
surely have mentioned them.
Callistus was a slave in the imperial Roman household. Put in charge of the
bank by his master, he lost the money deposited, fled and was caught. After
serving time for a while, he was released to make some attempt to recover
the money. Apparently he carried his zeal too far, being arrested for
brawling in a Jewish synagogue. This time he was condemned to work in the
mines of Sardinia. He was released through the influence of the emperor's
mistress and lived at Anzio (site of a famous World War II beachhead).   For
more, follow the link below:

Yes, affliction and distress will come upon everyone who does evil, Jew
first and then Greek. But there will be glory, honor, and peace for everyone
who does good, Jew first and then Greek. There is no partiality with God.
~Romans 2:1-11

Then one of the scholars of the law said to him in reply, "Teacher, by
saying this you are insulting us too." And he said, "Woe also to you
scholars of the law! You impose on people burdens hard to carry, but you
yourselves do not lift one finger to touch them." ~Luke 11:42-46

We can be hypocrites sometimes.  We can condemn and criticize others, and be
far guiltier than they are. All the time we can be more concerned about
ourselves and our own reputation than them.

I pray that I may not condemn others.  I pray that I may confront my own
weaknesses and use the Lord's power to work on them and conquer them.