<MP>Wednesday, 13 February 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:58:47 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

V A L E N T I N E ' S    D A Y

I found a group of Valentines dating from 1848-1921.  They were sent from
the Blair/Arcadia area.  I scanned them , along with some of the written
messages inside.  Come and see this treasure. The message from one of the
1848 Valentines is included at the bottom of this e-mail.  Visit our Web
Site for our Valentine's Day Page.  I've included some good links, including
the History of Valentine's Day, Saint Valentine, and a *wonderful* story ...
"The Beautiful Heart." Use the easy on-line referral form too, to recommend
this page to family members and friends.  Learn more about Devotion to the
Sacred Heart of Jesus as well. Just follow the banner link from:
http://frpat.com/

M O R E    S U R G E R Y    T O D A Y
I'll be having more eye surgery at Mayo Clinic today (Wednesday).  They'll
be killing more of the ciliary body in order to further reduce the pressure
within the eye.  Please keep me in your prayers, but there's no need to send
e-mails.  I'd fell compelled to answer them, and I'll be a little loopy
after the surgery tomorrow.  (-:  Your prayers are precious to me.

St. Giles Mary of St. Joseph (1729-1812)
In the same year that a power-hungry Napoleon Bonaparte led his army into
Russia, Giles Mary of St. Joseph ended a life of humble service to his
Franciscan community and to the citizens of Naples. Francesco was born in
Taranto to very poor parents. His father's death left the 18-year-old
Francesco to care for the family. Having secured their future, he entered
the Friars Minor at Galatone in 1754. For 53 years he served at St.
Paschal's Hospice in Naples in various roles, such as cook, porter or most
often as official beggar for that community.  For more about this Saint,
click the link below:

When God saw by their actions how they turned from their evil way, he
repented of the evil that he had threatened to do to them; he did not carry
it out. ~ Jonah 3:1-10

A heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.  ~Psalm 51

Repentance is everything.  We can fall in to sin, even deep sin.  Many never
come to the point of saying that they're sorry and seeking the forgiveness
of God and others.  During this Lenten Season we can become ready to turn
back to God with all our hearts.  Our Prayer, Fasting and Almsgiving can
soften our hearts to the point that we're ready to repent.

I pray that, in my sinfulness, I may see and believe in God's great love for
me.  I pray that I may turn back to God with all my heart and receive the
forgiveness God promises me.  I pray that I may repent knowing that "A heart
contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn."

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Nancy from PA requests prayers for the attendance and participation in the
Lenten Holy Hour initiated in her parish that all may be renewed in hope as
parishioners seek Jesus and his Mercy during this Lenten season. A mother
requests prayers for her son's family, for special intentions. Marilyn asks
prayers for a special intention.

Vicki asks prayers for her brother-in-law who had triple by-pass surgery on
Monday. Marisa asks for prayers for the one she loves will come back into
her life. A member asks prayers that her tax returns go through without a
hitch. Jean asks prayers for a special intention.