<MP>Wednesday, 11 November 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:24:16 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Martin of Tours (316?-397)
A conscientious objector who wanted to be a monk; a monk who was maneuvered
into being a bishop; a bishop who fought paganism as well as pleaded for
mercy to heretics-such was Martin of Tours, one of the most popular of
saints and one of the first not to be a martyr. Born of pagan parents in
what is now Hungary and raised in Italy, this son of a veteran was forced to
serve in the army against his will at the age of 15. He became a Christian
catechumen and was baptized at 18. It was said that he lived more like a
monk than a soldier. At 23, he refused a war bonus and told his commander:
"I have served you as a soldier; now let me serve Christ. Give the bounty to
those who are going to fight. But I am a soldier of Christ and it is not
lawful for me to fight." After great difficulties, he was discharged and
went to be a disciple of Hilary of Poitiers (January 13).  For more, follow
the link below:

Jesus said in reply, "Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other
nine? Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?" Then he
said to him, "Stand up and go; your faith has saved you." ~Luke 17:11-19

We're called to express thanks. When things go our way we often just think
that's the way it is supposed to be. Sometimes when others help us, we just
take that help for granted. But we're called to thank others ... and,
through prayer, to thank God.

I pray that I may be a grateful person.  I pray that I may say thank you to
those who help me, and to God to whom I owe everything.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Marilyn asks prayers for her husband who is experiencing back and leg pain
to get a correct diagnose from doctors. Nancy from PA requests prayers for a
long time friend who recently lost her job that she may find gainful
employment in her field and also that impending surgery for herself on
Thursday will be successful. Betty asks prayers for her sister who is
scheduled for  hip replacement surgery.

Alvina asks prayers for a special intention. We pray in thanksgiving for all
our Veterans and for all those who are in active military service at this
time.