<MP>Wednesday, 11 June 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:58:29 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Now departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
(JFK)
   *** 13 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already been
taken.
   Use the NEW BROCHURE ... on-line now at www.frpat.com
   The new brochure has a picture of Fr. Pat and Sister Joselda on the
cover.

St. Barnabas
Barnabas, a Jew of Cyprus, comes as close as anyone outside the Twelve to
being a full-fledged apostle. He was closely associated with St. Paul (he
introduced Paul to Peter and the other apostles) and served as a kind of
mediator between the former persecutor and the still suspicious Jewish
Christians.  For more, follow the link below:

Now there were in the Church at Antioch prophets and teachers: Barnabas,
Symeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene,
Manaen who was a close friend of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. While they
were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for
me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." Then,
completing their fasting and prayer, they laid hands on them and sent them
off. ~ Acts 11:21b-26; 12:1-3

Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches
others to do so will be called least in the Kingdom of heaven. But whoever
obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the Kingdom
of heaven." ~Matthew 5:17-19
`

Worthy and holy people have always been raised up to be leaders of the Body
of Christ, the Church. I today's Barnabas was chosen. He was close to Saint
Paul and served as a mediator between the former persecutor promised  faith
and courage to the Jewish Christans who were still skeptical.  In our Gospel
we hear of the importance of being a good example. People were promoted even
after committing great sins.  Faith continues to grow on the strength of
their conversion.

I pray that I may see the Church as the Body of Christ in the world, a body
of which I am apart.  I pray that others may be merciful to me as well. I
pray that my actions may not give scandal, but that by living the true
faith, more will come to Jesus through me.