<MP>Wednesday, 09 September 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 19:06:51 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Peter Claver (1581-1654)
A native of Spain, young Jesuit Peter Claver left his homeland forever in
1610 to be a missionary in the colonies of the New World. He sailed into
Cartagena (now in Colombia), a rich port city washed by the Caribbean. He
was ordained there in 1615. By this time the slave trade had been
established in the Americas for nearly 100 years, and Cartagena was a chief
center for it. Ten thousand slaves poured into the port each year after
crossing the Atlantic from West Africa under conditions so foul and inhuman
that an estimated one-third of the passengers died in transit. Although the
practice of slave-trading was condemned by Pope Paul III and later labeled
"supreme villainy" by Pius IX, it continued to flourish.   For more, follow
the link below:

Stop lying to one another, since you have taken off the old self with its
practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed, for
knowledge, in the image of its creator. Here there is not Greek and Jew,
circumcision and circumcision,
barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all and in all. ~Colossians
3:1-11

Rejoice and leap for joy on that day! Behold, your reward will be great in
heaven. For their ancestors treated the prophets in the same way. ~Luke
6:20-26

It is time for us to take off our old self and embrace the new, in the image
of our creator.  And in the Beatitudes we are called to see ourselves as
blessed, even in our difficulties.  God continues to provide for us. We can
remember that our reward in heaven will be great.

I pray that I may put aside the sinfulness of the past.  I pray that I may
embrace the new and live in the image of my creator.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Jeannine requests prayers for someone whose baby is going in for surgery to
repair his hand due to a birth defect. Joanne requests prayers for herself,
that her health insurance problems get resolved quickly, and also for
financial help. Allie requests prayers for her husband who will be
undergoing medical tests on Friday.

A mother requests prayers for her son who has been extremely stressed with
work issues, that he may find a job less stressful for him. Tina asks
prayers for her husband and her son, that God will bless and guide each of
them in their work and school. Jeanne asks prayers that her son and
daughter-in-law have a successful invitro procedure on Wednesday.