<MP>Wednesday, 06 February 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 18:56:31 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

L E N T  :  :  :  O N - L I N E    S T A T I O N S

Stations of the Cross in English and Spanish illustrated by Saint Pat's
School 4th Graders. You'll find materials on Reconciliation, an Examination
of Conscience and even a Credit Card to Heaven.  Lenten regulations are
there too, along with a complete schedule of Services and Activities.  Be
sure to visit our ON-LINE STATIONS OF THE CROSS.  I've written them for
children and adults alike.  They've been newly illustrated this year by the
4th Graders at our own Saint Patrick's School and are available in English
and Spanish as well.
Just follow the link from:

St. Paul Miki and Companions (d. 1597)
Nagasaki, Japan, is familiar to Americans as the city on which the second
atomic bomb was dropped, killing hundreds of thousands. Three and a half
centuries before, 26 martyrs of Japan were crucified on a hill, now known as
the Holy Mountain, overlooking Nagasaki. Among them were priests, brothers
and laymen, Franciscans, Jesuits and members of the Secular Franciscan
Order; there were catechists, doctors, simple artisans and servants, old men
and innocent children-all united in a common faith and love for Jesus and
his Church.

Even now, says the LORD, return to me with your whole heart, with fasting,
and weeping, and mourning; Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return
to the LORD, your God.  ~ Joel 2:12-18

But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is
doing, so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in
secret will repay you.  ~ Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

It is easy for us to drift away from the Lord.  Lent can be our response to
God's call to "Return to me with your whole heart."  Through our works of
prayer, fasting and almsgiving we can turn away from our selfishness and
draw near to God and others.

I pray that I may respond to God's call to turn back to Him with all my
heart.  I pray that my prayer, fasting and almsgiving this Holy Season will
bring me closer to God and those around me.