<MP>Wednesday, 05 December 2007

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:28:24 -0600

M O R E    S U R G E R Y    T O D A Y
I visited my Doctor at Mayo Clinic yesterday (Monday). There was another
bleed in the eye the night before Thanksgiving and the pressure is 38 even
with six kinds of eye drops and a high-powered capsule I take twice a day.

The solution ... more surgery.  Actually, laser this time.  I'll be going to
Mayo early on Wednesday morning for  Diode Cycloablation.  Part of the part
of the eye that produces fluid is destroyed in order to lower pressure.
Surgery is done in an operating room, but doesn't take very long.  I'll be
back home on Wednesday but will likely have an eye patch and a good amount
of pain for a few days.  A risk is destroying too much and ending up with an
eye with too little pressure.  For that reason, it is common to repeat the
procedure at a later date to reach the pressure wanted by the Doctor.  Dr.
Pulido, my doctor here, wants a pressure of 14 in that eye.  The good news
... if the surgery is successful I may get off the nasty orange capsules and
the six different eye drops I have to use every day.

There are some signs of glaucoma in the good eye too, so I'll begin one drop
of Xalatan before bed each night.  Keep me in your prayers, and know that
you're in mine as well!

R A F F L E    C A L E N D A R
$16,755 in Prizes!  A winner every day all year!

2008 Adesse Raffle Calendars are now available!  There are daily drawings
from 01 January-31 December 2008.  Calendars are $25. You'll be a winner
because you'll be helping our parish . . . and you might win a prize as
well!  If you're interested, just visit our Parish Web Site to see the
calendar, prizes and more . . . and fill out the easy form there and we'll
save some for you!  Just follow the banner link from: www.stpatz.com

A D V E N T    P A G E S
Our Advent Pages are up and running ... from links to alternative Christmas
gifts to much more.  Just follow the banner link from:  www.frpat.com

A D V E N T    S A I N T S
Follow the links from www.frpat.com for more about Saint Nicholas (December
6th), Saint Juan Diego (December 9th) and Our Lady of Guadalupe (December
12th).

     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Sabas (b. 439)
Born in Cappadocia (modern-day Turkey), Sabas is one of the most highly
regarded patriarchs among the monks of Palestine and is considered one of
the founders of Eastern monasticism.  For more, Click the link below:

On this mountain he will destroy the veil that veils all peoples, The web
that is woven over all nations; he will destroy death forever.  ~Isaiah
25:6-10a

Great crowds came to him, having with them the lame, the blind, the
deformed, the mute, and many others. They placed them at his feet, and he
cured them.  ~Matthew 15:29-37

Jesus heart was filled with compassion for all who needed him in any way.
Isaiah promises that a time will come when we can understand all the things
that elude understanding now, "On this mountain he will destroy the veil
that veils all peoples. The web that is woven over all nations; he will
destroy death forever." We look forward with hopeful hearts for that day to
come.

I pray that I may trust that the Lord wants to give me many good things.  I
pray that I can relax not understanding totally God and His ways, knowing
that in the end I will understand perfectly.