<MP>Tuesday, 28 April 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:42:20 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Peter Chanel (1803-1841)
Anyone who has worked in loneliness, with great adaptation required and with
little apparent success, will find a kindred spirit in Peter Chanel. As a
young priest he revived a parish in a "bad" district by the simple method of
showing great devotion to the sick. Wanting to be a missionary, he joined
the Society of Mary (Marists) at 28. Obediently, he taught in the seminary
for five years. Then, as superior of seven Marists, he traveled to Western
Oceania where he was entrusted with a vicariate. The bishop accompanying the
missionaries left Peter and a brother on Futuna Island in the New Hebrides,
promising to return in six months. The interval lasted five years.  For
more, follow the link below:

But they cried out in a loud voice, covered their ears, and rushed upon him
together. They threw him out of the city, and began to stone him. The
witnesses laid down their cloaks at the feet of a young man named Saul. As
they were stoning Stephen, he called out, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."
Then he fell to his knees and cried out in a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold
this sin against them"; and when he said this, he fell asleep. ~Acts
7:51-8:1a

So they said to Jesus, "Sir, give us this bread always." Jesus said to them,
"I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever
believes in me will never thirst." ~John 6:30-35

In today's first reading we hear about the martyrdom of Stephen, the first
deacon ... and the fact that Saul (who became Paul) was not only a witness,
but concurred that this was right. And in our Gospel Jesus says, "I am the
bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes
in me will never thirst."

I pray that, when I mess up, that I can realize that as Paul and Peter were
forgiven and given authority, God will forgive me as well.  I pray that I
may receive the strength of the Eucharist ... that I may never hunger and
never thirst.  I pray that I may let others know about the source of this
great nourishment.