<MP>Tuesday, 26 February 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:13:37 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Porphyry of Gaza (353-421)
We go far back in history today to learn a bit about a saint whose name is
not familiar to most of us in the West but who is celebrated by the Greek
and Russian Orthodox churches. Born near Greece in the mid-fourth century,
Porphry is most known for his generosity to the poor and for his ascetic
lifestyle. Deserts and caves were his home for a time. At age 40, living in
Jerusalem, Porphyry was ordained a priest. For more, click the link below:

And now we follow you with our whole heart, we fear you and we pray to you.
~ Daniel 3:25, 34-43

Peter approached Jesus and asked him, "Lord, if my brother sins against me,
how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus answered, "I
say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times." ~ Matthew 18:21-35

It becomes habit to turn to God in our sinfulness and to accept His
forgiveness.  It is not so much of a habit to forgive others.  Still, when
we pray the Lord's Prayer we pray that we might be forgiven to the extent
that we are willing to forgive those who harm us.  And when Peter asks
Jesus, "If my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him?  As
many as seven times."  Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but
seventy-seven times."

I pray that I may always remember to turn to God in my sinfulness, always
being sure that I'll be forgiven.  I pray that I may be as forgiving to
those around me, forgiving not just a few times, but every time.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Letty asks prayers for her mother who is suffering from severe pain from
broken pelvic bones. Jerry asks for prayers for his father who suffers from
prostate, intestinal, and blood pressure problems. Karen asks prayers for
her daughter's good friend who is undergoing testing for cystic fibrosis
among other things.

Marilyn asks for prayers for her Granddaughter who is pregnant with twins
and has been placed on complete bed rest for the next 4 months to carry them
to full term. Maureen asks prayers for her friend who is undergoing
chemotherapy treatment that  the treatment will work and not make her too
sick. Kris asks prayers for her brother who is presently in a 3 month
rehabilitation program for alcohol and drug abuse.

Nancy asks prayers that she and her husband conceive soon. Sue asks for
prayers of patience and courage as she goes through the final 4 weeks of
withdrawal from anti-anxiety drugs. Nancy from PA asks prayers for our
country and its leaders as well as our future president that they may uphold
the sanctity of life in all its forms and help bring our nation to a more
God-centered place.

Please pray for prayer partner CA who has been suffering, physically and
psychologically after a car accident in 2003. Donna asks for prayers of
thanksgiving for her friend who found a good job after being unemployed for
9 months.