<MP>Tuesday, 25 May 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:55:47 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
The Dollar vs. the Euro -  Good news for travelers ... the Euro is not at
about $1.25 compared with $1.60 on 31 December
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

St. Venerable Bede (672?-735)
Bede is one of the few saints honored as such even during his lifetime. His
writings were filled with such faith and learning that even while he was
still alive, a Church council ordered them to be read publicly in the
churches. At an early age Bede was entrusted to the care of the abbot of the
Monastery of St. Paul, Jarrow. The happy combination of genius and the
instruction of scholarly, saintly monks produced a saint and an
extraordinary scholar, perhaps the most outstanding one of his day. He was
deeply versed in all the sciences of his times: natural philosophy, the
philosophical principles of Aristotle, astronomy, arithmetic, grammar,
ecclesiastical history, the lives of the saints and, especially, Holy
Scripture. From the time of his ordination to the priesthood at 30 (he had
been ordained deacon at 19) till his death, he was ever occupied with
learning, writing and teaching. Besides the many books that he copied, he
composed 45 of his own, including 30 commentaries on books of the Bible.

Like obedient children, do not act in compliance with the desires of your
former ignorance but, as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in
every aspect of your conduct, for it is written, Be holy because I am holy.
~1 Peter 1:10-16

Jesus said, "Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or
brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and
for the sake of the Gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in
this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children
and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. ~Mark
10:28-31

We are called to live holy lives in every aspect of our conduct. That means
"giving up" some of the things of this world. We are called to be disciples
and to accept the good and the bad, the glory, but more often the sacrifice.

I pray that I may live a holy life.  I pray that I may accept both glory and
sacrifice as part of my discipleship.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

A member from Louisiana asks for prayers that the oil spill catastrophe will
soon be resolved before the coastline and the wild life are destroyed beyond
repair.