<MP>Tuesday, 22 April 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:30:48 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

We'll visit Southern Italy, Assisi, Rome and the Vatican from 10-21 November
2008.  $2699 from Chicago or $2899 from La Crosse, Wisconsin. The brochure
is available in Church or on-line.  Just follow the link from: www.frpat.com

S U R G E R Y
I had surgery today to remove my right eye.  It began at about 8:30 this
morning.  I was back in my room at about 1 and am now back in Onalaska.  It
seems to have gone very well.  The muscles, etc. of the removed eye have
been attached to an implant so that when  the procedure is finished in about
six weeks, the eye will move with the other one.  For that reason there is a
fair amount of pain ehn I use the good eye.  Still, it should get better day
by day.  I return to Mayo to have it checked on Thursday.  Thanks so much
for your prayers.  They're precious to me!

St. Adalbert of Prague (956-97)
Opposition to the Good News of Jesus did not discourage Adalbert, who is now
remembered with great honor in the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and
Germany. Born to a noble family in Bohemia, he received part of his
education from St. Adalbert of Magdeburg. At the age of 27 he was chosen as
bishop of Prague. Those who resisted his program of clerical reform forced
him into exile eight years later.

And when they arrived, they called the Church together and reported what God
had done with them and how he had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles.
Then they spent no little time with the disciples. ~Acts 14:19-28

Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, 'I am
going away and I will come back to you.' If you loved me, you would rejoice
that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. ~John
14:17-31a

In today's First Reading Paul is stoned and left for dead.  But he survives
and, with his companions, continues his work in many places. Their example
provides powerful witness, and many believe because of their brave
proclamations. Jesus speaks about going to the Father, and his disciples
struggle to understand what all this means.

I pray that I may be strong as I live my faith.  I pray that Paul and
Benedict XVI may serve as models for me, that I can continue the work of our
Lord Jesus Christ.  I pray that I may use my gifts and talents to build up
the Body of Christ here on earth.