<MP>Tuesday, 19 May 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 17:37:05 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Theophilus of Corte (1676-1740)
If we expect saints to do marvelous things continually and to leave us many
memorable quotes, we are bound to be disappointed with St. Theophilus. The
mystery of God's grace in a person's life, however, has a beauty all its
own.
Theophilus was born in Corsica of rich and noble parents. As a young man he
entered the Franciscans and soon showed his love for solitude and prayer.
After admirably completing his studies, he was ordained and assigned to a
retreat house near Subiaco. Inspired by the austere life of the Franciscans
there, he founded other such houses in Corsica and Tuscany. Over the years,
he became famous for his preaching as well as his missionary efforts.  For
more, follow the link below:

Then he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And
they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be
saved." So they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to everyone in his
house. He took them in at that hour of the night and bathed their wounds;
then he and all his family were baptized at once. He brought them up into
his house and provided a meal and with his household rejoiced at having come
to faith in God. ~Acts 16:22-34

But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not
go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.
And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and
righteousness and condemnation: sin, because they do not believe in me;
righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see
me. ~John 16:5-11

They were fearless.  The jail fell down, but the disciples stayed around.
That baffled the jailer and all who heard about it. In our first reading
today a whole family is baptized as they came to faith.  In our Gospel Jesus
makes it clear that He must return to the Father, then the Advocate (Holy
Spirit) would come upon them.  They would be even more fearless as they
carried out Jesus' mission.

I pray that I may not be afraid.  I pray that my life may inspire deeper
faith in those around me.