<MP>Tuesday, 16 March 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:34:21 -0500

Friday, 20 November 2009

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

P A R I S H    M I S S I O N    H A S    B E G U N !
Fr. Jim Marchionda, OP - S. Annie Willits, OP, 13-17 March 2010 Join us if
you can, for our 2010 Lenten Mission.  It starts with preaching at this
weekend's Masses.  Then there will be presentations at morning Masses at 8
a.m. Monday and 8:30 on Tuesday and Wednesday. Evening sessions are at 7
p.m. Monday-Wednesday. Fr. Jim is a noted musician, composer and conductor.
Our Mission will feature Fr. Jim's compositions.
The last night will feature music, prayer, and Fr. Jim on jazz clarinet and
saxophone.  There's more information on our Parish Web Site, www.stpatz.com.
Or, become a fan of St. Patz Lenten Mission on Facebook.

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0
$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
I BELIEVE FIVE SEATS FROM LA CROSSE REMAIN
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

L E N T    2 0 1 0
Visit my Lent Page for good links, Reconciliation resources in English and
Spanish, and my own Stations of the Cross in English and Spanish for
children and adults and illustrated by the kids of St. Pat's School.
Follow the link from: www.frpat.com

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Clement Mary Hofbauer (1751-1820)
Clement might be called the second founder of the Redemptorists, as it was
he who carried the congregation of St. Alphonsus Liguori to the people north
of the Alps. John, the name given him at Baptism, was born in Moravia into a
poor family, the ninth of 12 children. Although he longed to be a priest
there was no money for studies, and he was apprenticed to a baker. But God
guided the young man's fortunes. He found work in the bakery of a monastery
where he was allowed to attend classes in its Latin school. After the abbot
there died, John tried the life of a hermit but when Emperor Joseph II
abolished hermitages, John again returned to Vienna and to baking. One day
after serving Mass at the cathedral of St. Stephen, he called a carriage for
two ladies waiting there in the rain. In their conversation they learned
that he could not pursue his priestly studies because of a lack of funds.
They generously offered to support both him and his friend, Thaddeus, in
their seminary studies. The two went to Rome, where they were drawn to St.
Alphonsus' vision of religious life and to the Redemptorists. The two young
men were ordained together in 1785. For more, follow the link below:

"This water flows into the eastern district down upon the Arabah, and
empties into the sea, the salt waters, which it makes fresh. Wherever the
river flows, every sort of living creature that can multiply shall live, and
there shall be abundant fish, for wherever this water comes the sea shall be
made fresh. Along both banks of the river, fruit trees of every kind shall
grow; their leaves shall not fade, nor their fruit fail. Every month they
shall bear fresh fruit, for they shall be watered by the flow from the
sanctuary. Their fruit shall serve for food, and their leaves for medicine."
~Ezekiel 47:1-9, 12

When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had been ill for a long
time, he said to him, "Do you want to be well?"
The sick man answered him, "Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when
the water is stirred up; while I am on my way, someone else gets down there
before me." Jesus said to him, "Rise, take up your mat, and walk."
Immediately the man became well, took up his mat, and walked. ~John 5:1-16

How important it is to help our friends.  The man in today's Gospel finally
received healing because he got the help he needed.  Still, Jesus was
criticized and persecuted because He healed on the Sabbath. And others
jumped on the bandwagon because of a perceived infraction of the letter of
the law ... where the spirit of the law was more than fully satisfied. When
does our judgment and criticism not follow common sense?

I pray that I may love God above all things and my neighbor as myself.  I
pray that I may not busy myself in criticizing others when there are so many
who could use my help, time and attention.