<MP>Tuesday, 11 May 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 16:41:45 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

P E N T E C O S T    N O V E N A
Starts on Friday, 14 May!
A novena is made up of nine days of prayers for a special cause.  The Novena
in honor of the Holy Spirit is the most ancient of all Novenas.  It was the
first one ever prayed.  It recalls the period of nine days where Jesus sent
his apostles back to Jerusalem to await the coming of the Holy Spirit at
Pentecost. This wonderful Novena is addressed to the Holy Spirit and can be
a powerful way for us to prepare to receive the light, strength and courage
we need. So, let's pray this wonderful Novena, beginning on the Friday after
Ascension Thursday, this year on the 14th of May, even when, like this year
in the United States, the celebration of Holy Thursday is transferred to the
next Sunday.  Come Holy Spirit, Come!  Follow the banner link from:

$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

St. Ignatius of Laconi (1701-1781)
Ignatius is another sainted begging brother. He was the second of seven
children of peasant parents in Sardinia. His path to the Franciscans was
unusual. During a serious illness, Ignatius vowed to become a Capuchin if he
recovered. He regained his health but ignored the promise. A riding accident
prompted him to renew the pledge, which he acted on the second time; he was
20 then. Ignatius's reputation for self-denial and charity led to his
appointment as the official beggar for the friars in Cagliari. He fulfilled
that task for 40 years; he was blind the last two years. While on his
rounds, Ignatius would instruct the children, visit the sick and urge
sinners to repent. The people of Cagliari were inspired by his kindness and
his faithfulness to his work. He was canonized in 1951.

When the jailer woke up and saw the prison doors wide open, he drew his
sword and was about to kill himself, thinking that the prisoners had
escaped. But Paul shouted out in a loud voice, "Do no harm to yourself; we
are all here." ~Acts 16:22-34

Jesus said to his disciples: "Now I am going to the one who sent me, and not
one of you asks me, 'Where are you going?'
But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts. But I tell you
the truth, it is better for you that I go. ~John 16:5-11

Jesus continues to prepare his Disciples for His Ascension into Heaven. The
Holy Spirit that will be active in His Disciples is awaited, as they defy
human reason and stick around even after an earthquake frees them from
prison. It is not impossible to imprison the Word of the Lord.  And it
continues to spread.

I pray that I may remember that I may know the presence of the Holy Spirit
in my life. I pray that I may not be afraid of anything, but continue to
speak about Jesus and bring more people to Him.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Barbara requests prayers for a freind who will have surgery on Wednesday.
Nancy from PA requests prayers for the choir director at their parish whose
mother died last week while in Hospice and for father who is in poor medical
condition that God will give her family the strength and comfort needed
during this sad time. A mother asks prayers for her son who is looking for
work.

Kathrin requests prayers for her family. Mary Anne asks prayers for a
special intention. Mickey requests prayers of thanks for her niece who gave
birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl on Mother's Day. Eileen requests
prayers for her son who is unemployed that God will soon lead him to a new
job. Juanita requests prayers for a coworker who has recently lost her
mother.