<MP>Tuesday, 11 March 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:39:20 -0500 (CDT)

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

F R .   P A T    H A S    T H E    F L U
Father Pat has the flu. For that reason prayer intentions will not be
include with Morning Prayer until he is feeling better.

P I L G R I M A G E    2 0 0 8
We'll visit Southern Italy, Assisi, Rome and the Vatican from 10-21 November
2008.  The brochure will be available at the Web Site very soon.  $2699 from
Chicago or $2899 from La Crosse, Wisconsin. The brochure is available in
Church or on-line.  Just follow the link from: www.frpat.com

O N - L I N E    S T A T I O N S    O F    T H E     C R O S S
Visit my on-line Stations of the Cross. Follow the link from: www.frpat.com

St. John Ogilvie (c. 1579-1615)
John Ogilvie's noble Scottish family was partly Catholic and partly
Presbyterian. His father raised him as a Calvinist, sending him to the
continent to be educated. There John became interested in the popular
debates going on between Catholic and Calvinist scholars. Confused by the
arguments of Catholic scholars whom he sought out, he turned to Scripture.
Two texts particularly struck him: "God wills all men to be saved and come
to the knowledge of the truth," and "Come to me all you who are weary and
find life burdensome, and I will refresh you."

So Moses prayed for the people, and the LORD said to Moses,?Make a saraph
and mount it on a pole,and whoever looks at it after being bitten will
live.? Moses accordingly made a bronze serpent and mounted it on a pole,
and whenever anyone who had been bitten by a serpent looked at the bronze
serpent, he lived.  ~ Numbers 21:4-9

So the Jews said,?He is not going to kill himself, is he,because he said,
?Where I am going you cannot come??? He said to them, ?You belong to what
is below, I belong to what is above. You belong to this world, but I do
not belong to this world. That is why I told you that you will die in your
sins. For if you do not believe that I AM, you will die in your sins.?  ~
John 8:21-30

Moses mounted the seraph and raised it in the desert to remind the people
of the consequences of their sins.  Jesus was raised on the cross too, to
remind us of ours ... and eventually bring us life, forgiveness, healing
and peace. Jesus says that, "If you do not believe that I AM, you will die
in your sins.?

I pray that being reminded of my sins will motivate me to seek forgiveness
again and come back to the Lord with all my heart.  I pray that I may
believe in what Jesus says, "If you do not believe that I AM, you will die
in your sins.?