<MP>Tuesday, 06 January 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 21:11:16 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P  R A Y E R  :=:
     ~From Father Pat Umberger

I T ' S    D A Y    T H R E E
It's day three after the Transplant.  Visit the Blog if you'd like to hear
more.  There was a little Potassium shortage today, and perhaps I'm a bit
weaker . but doing well!  It was great to have Mass at the Transplant House
again tonight.  Read much more at my blog, updated every day at:
www.frpat.com/mayoblog

.=:  S A I N T    O F    T H E    D A Y  :=.

St. Gregory Nazianzen (329-390)
After his baptism at 30, Gregory gladly accepted his friend Basil's
invitation to join him in a newly founded monastery. The solitude was broken
when Gregory's father, a bishop, needed help in his diocese and estate. It
seems that Gregory was ordained a priest practically by force, and only
reluctantly accepted the responsibility. He skillfully avoided a schism that
threatened when his own father made compromises with Arianism. At 41,
Gregory was chosen suffragan bishop of Caesarea and at once came into
conflict with Valens, the emperor, who supported the Arians. An unfortunate
by-product of the battle was the cooling of the friendship of two saints.
Basil, his archbishop, sent him to a miserable and unhealthy town on the
border of unjustly created divisions in his diocese. Basil reproached
Gregory for not going to his see.  For more, follow this link:
http://www.americancatholic.org/features/SaintofDay/

.=:  S C R I P T U R E    O F    T  H E    D A Y  :=.

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves
is begotten by God and knows God. ~1 John 4:7-10

He said to them in reply, "Give them some food yourselves." But they said to
him, "Are we to buy two hundred days' wages worth of food and give it to
them to eat?" ~Mark 6:34-44

.=: M E D I T A T I O N    O F    T H E    D A Y  :=.

We follow Jesus' call to love one another, because love is of God; everyone
who loves is begotten by God and knows God."  During this Christmas Season
we can come to know God more and more.  We can strive to see the needs
around of us and respond to them as those who really love.  Jesus' own
disciples need to be reminded to respond to the needs of the crowds and to
"Give them some food yourselves."  Although they thought they'd never have
enough, they found that when all the people were fed, they had more than
they began with.

 .=: P R A Y E R    F O R    T H E    D A Y  :=.

I pray that I may follow Jesus' call to love others.  I pray that I may not
think first about myself, but share what I have generously with those around
me.

I pray that I may always seek the truth.  I pray that I may be grateful for
John the Apostle, his privileged relationship with Jesus and all he shares
with us about God, His love for us and His call for us to love one another.

We pray for the justice that leads to lasting peace, and for the willingness
to stand up for and defend life. We pray for all those being called to
Church vocations, that they may be willing to respond generously.

Keep me in your prayers and know you are remembered in mine as well.  May
God continue to bless you and those you love, and keep you safe!

Father Pat
                    ~Be still and know that I am God."  ~Psalm 46:10