<MP>Tuesday, 05 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:33:07 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   *** At least 18 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already
been taken.
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

Dedication of St. Mary Major Basilica
First raised at the order of Pope Liberius in the mid-fourth century, the
Liberian Basilica was rebuilt by Pope Sixtus III shortly after the Council
of Ephesus affirmed Mary's title as Mother of God in 431. Rededicated at
that time to the Mother of God, St. Mary Major is the largest church in the
world honoring God through Mary. Standing atop one of Rome's seven hills,
the Esquiline, it has survived many restorations without losing its
character as an early Roman basilica. Its interior retains three naves
divided by colonnades in the style of Constantine's era. Fifth-century
mosaics on its walls testify to its antiquity  For more, follow the link
below:

You shall be my people, and I will be your God. ~Jeremiah 30:1-2, 12-15,
18-22

At once Jesus spoke to them, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."
Peter said to him in reply, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you
on the water." He said, "Come." Peter got out of the boat and began to walk
on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw how strong the wind was he became
frightened; and, beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him, and said to him, "O
you of little faith, why did you doubt?"  ~Matthew 14:22-36

How easy it is for us to falter. Jeremiah learned that after pain would come
restoration.  Although people are often disloyal and break God's covenant
... God is always faithful.  He strikes His covenant with these words: "You
shall be my people, and I will be your God." Peter too, began to rely on
himself and his own resources and realized that there was no way that he
could possibly walk on water.  He faltered and sank ... and Jesus stretched
out His arm and caught him.  It's good for us to remember that our God is
always faithful to His covenant.  God can and will do for us what we could
never accomplish by ourselves.

I pray that I may trust in the Lord's faithfulness to His covenant with us.
I pray that I may not rely totally on my own resources, but know that God is
with me always.  I pray that I may trust that God can and will do for me
what I could never do by myself.