<MP>Thursday, 27 September 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:18:56 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Robert Bellarmine (1542-1621)
When Robert Bellarmine was ordained in 1570, the study of Church history and
the fathers of the Church was in a sad state of neglect. A promising scholar
from his youth in Tuscany, he devoted his energy to these two subjects, as
well as to Scripture, in order to systematize Church doctrine against the
attacks of the Protestant Reformers. He was the first Jesuit to become a
professor at Louvain. His most famous work is his three-volume Disputations
on the Controversies of the Christian faith. Particularly noteworthy are the
sections on the temporal power of the pope and the role of the laity. He
incurred the anger of monarchists in England and France by showing the
divine-right-of-kings theory untenable. He developed the theory of the
indirect power of the pope in temporal affairs; although he was defending
the pope against the Scottish philosopher Barclay, he also incurred the ire
of Pope Sixtus V.   For more, follow the link below:

Beloved: Let no one have contempt for your youth, but set an example for
those who believe, in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity. ~1 Timothy
4:12-16

Dolores asks prayers for a special intention. Rose asks prayers for a
special intention. Daina is asking prayers for someone who needs a medical
procedure but has no insurance nor qualifies for state assistance.

Jane asks for prayers for her son, who is leaving for Afghanistan on October
7th, and serving in the U.S. Army, 25th Infantry Division. Anna asks prayers
that her mother, who is very weak, recovers completely from surgery and her
Uncle's chest pains ease as well.

Kris asks prayers for her daughter and son-in-law who are struggling in
their marriage and her problem with alcohol. A member requests prayers for a
family with many problems, for an end to their difficulties. Paula asks
prayers for a young Marine who is in Afghanistan with a very serious skin
condition that has spread to his entire body and is not responding to
treatment.

You did not give me a kiss, but she has not ceased kissing my feet since the
time I entered. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she anointed my
feet with ointment. So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence,
she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves
little." He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." The others at table said
to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" But he said to the
woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."  ~Luke 7:36-50

We can be forgiven and then given a new chance.  As Jesus says, "the one to
whom little is forgiven, loves little."  Our love must be large.  We can set
and example by our love for others, that the young people around us can
follow.  As we're told in our first reading, set an example for those who
believe, in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity."

I pray that I may receive God's forgiveness and set a good example by the
way I love others.