<MP>Thursday, 27 August 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:15:47 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

B A C K    T O    S C H O O L
Our School starts on Monday, 31 August.  This coming weekend we'll bless all
students, teachers, bus drivers, administrators, custodians, lunch room
workers, aides, university presidents, etc.  Visit the Web Site for a parish
blessing and also an individual blessing parents can pray with their
children on the first day of school, and every day if they wish.  I also
include plenty of good links for parents, children and teens.  Just follow
the link from: www.frpat.com

St. Monica (322?-387)
The circumstances of St. Monica's life could have made her a nagging wife, a
bitter daughter-in-law and a despairing parent, yet she did not give way to
any of these temptations. Although she was a Christian, her parents gave her
in marriage to a pagan, Patricius, who lived in her hometown of Tagaste in
North Africa. Patricius had some redeeming features, but he had a violent
temper and was licentious. Monica also had to bear with a cantankerous
mother-in-law who lived in her home. Patricius criticized his wife because
of her charity and piety, but always respected her. Monica's prayers and
example finally won her husband and mother-in-law to Christianity. Her
husband died in 371, one year after his baptism. Monica had at least three
children who survived infancy. The oldest, Augustine, is the most famous. At
the time of his father's death, Augustine was 17 and a rhetoric student in
Carthage. Monica was distressed to learn that her son had accepted the
Manichean heresy and was living an immoral life. For a while, she refused to
let him eat or sleep in her house. Then one night she had a vision that
assured her Augustine would return to the faith. From that time on she
stayed close to her son, praying and fasting for him. In fact, she often
stayed much closer than Augustine wanted.   For more, follow the link below:

Now may God himself, our Father, and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you,
and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and
for all, just as we have for you, so as to strengthen your hearts, to be
blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord
Jesus with all his holy ones. Amen. 1 Thessalonians 3:7-13

"Who, then, is the faithful and prudent servant, whom the master has put in
charge of his household to distribute to them their food at the proper time?
Blessed is that servant whom his master on his arrival finds doing so. Amen,
I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property. ~Matthew
24:42-51

God gives us so many gifts.  Along with them comes responsibility.  We are
called to put our gifts to good use, multiplying them, being good stewards.
When we do we can be blameless in holiness before our God and Father.

I pray that I may show gratitude for God's gifts by acting as a good steward
and putting them to good use.  I pray that others may grow in holiness
through the example I set.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Leila is asking for prayers for a friend who was just diagnosed with stage 4
myeloma. Nancy from PA requests prayers for a dear friend who is having back
surgery Sept. 1 to correct crushed vertebrae and help alleviate the pain,
that the surgery may be successful.  Clare asks for prayers for a priest
friend who is being led down a wrong path.

Nancy requests prayers for friend's daughter who is suffering from
overwhelming illness while caring for a disabled child. A member requests
prayers for approval of tuition assistance application so as to enable
credential to secure gainful employment.  Rebecca requests  prayers for the
repose of the soul of Senator Kennedy and comfort to his family.

Marie asks prayers for a special intention. Jim asks for prayers for his son
who has been diagnosed with possible schizophrenia, that his mind may heal.
Member requests prayers that God strengthen her to deal with the disease of
borderline personality disorder. Deanna requests prayers for 19 new
seminarians starting seminary this week.