<MP>Thursday, 24 April 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:53:50 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

We'll visit Southern Italy, Assisi, Rome and the Vatican from 10-21 November
2008.  $2699 from Chicago or $2899 from La Crosse, Wisconsin. The brochure
is available in Church or on-line.  Just follow the link from: www.frpat.com

E Y E    P R O G R E S S
Still a bit of discomfort, as the implant moves along with the good eye.
But the bandages come off tomorrow.  That should be a GREAT relief, to be
able to wear glasses normally and not over bulky bandages.  Sincere thanks
for your continued prayerful support.  Your prayers are precious to me!

St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen (1577-1622)
If a poor man needed some clothing, Fidelis would often give the man the
clothes right off his back. Complete generosity to others characterized this
saint's life. Born in 1577, Mark Rey (Fidelis was his religious name) became
a lawyer who constantly upheld the causes of the poor and oppressed people.
Nicknamed "the poor man's lawyer," Fidelis soon grew disgusted with the
corruption and injustice he saw among his colleagues. He left his law career
to become a priest, joining his brother George as a Franciscan friar of the
Capuchin Order. His wealth was divided between needy seminarians and the
poor. For more, click the link below:

It is my judgment, therefore, that we ought to stop troubling the Gentiles
who turn to God, but tell them by letter to avoid pollution from idols,
unlawful marriage, the meat of strangled animals, and blood. ~Acts 15:7-21

Jesus said to his disciples: "As the Father loves me, so I also love you.
Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love,
just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love.  ~John
15:9-11

In today's First Reading Jesus' disciples decide not to require circumcision
for Gentiles becoming Christian.  But they are to follow commandments.  In
our Gospel today Jesus says that we remain in His love if we keep His
commandments, just has He has kept His Father commandments and remain in his
love. Sometimes we can rebel against commandments, until we see that they
are what frees us for true love of God and others.

I pray that I may show my love for Jesus by keeping His commandments.  I
pray that I may do so freely, knowing the freedom they bring.  I pray that
my relationship with God and with others will be strengthened by this
faithfulness.