<MP>Thursday, 22 October 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:32:08 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Peter of Alcantara (1499-1562)
Peter was a contemporary of well-known 16th-century Spanish saints,
including Ignatius of Loyola and John of the Cross. He served as confessor
to St. Teresa of Avila. Church reform was a major issue in Peter's day, and
he directed most of his energies toward that end. His death came one year
before the Council of Trent ended. Born into a noble family (his father was
the governor of Alcantara in Spain), Peter studied law at Salamanca
University and, at 16, joined the so-called Observant Franciscans (also
known as the discalced, or barefoot, friars). While he practiced many
penances, he also demonstrated abilities which were soon recognized. He was
named the superior of a new house even before his ordination as a priest; at
the age of 39, he was elected provincial; he was a very successful preacher.
Still, he was not above washing dishes and cutting wood for the friars. He
did not seek attention; indeed, he preferred solitude.
  For more, follow the link below:

But now that you have been freed from sin and have become slaves of God, the
benefit that you have leads to sanctification, and its end is eternal life.
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ
Jesus our Lord. ~Romans 6:19-23

Jesus said to his disciples: "I have come to set the earth on fire, and how
I wish it were already blazing! There is a baptism with which I must be
baptized, and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished! ~Luke
12:49-53

We are called to come closer to God and receive the gift of eternal life.
When we live as slaves to sin, we go off in our own direction and end up in
some pretty dismal places.  As slaves to God though, we live lives of
completeness, peace and love ... and look forward to eternal life.  May we
live always as slaves to God!

I pray that I may not live as a slave to sin, but may embrace God with all
my being.  I pray that I may look forward each day to eternal life with God!