<MP>Thursday, 20 September 2007

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:32:34 -0500

J O I N    S I S T E R    J O S E L D A    A N D    M E

A great Pilgrimage to the Holy Land - 04-15 November 2007!
Several seats are still available.

Follow the link from:  www.frpat.com

     From Father Pat Umberger

Thursday of the Twenty-Fourth Week in Ordinary Time, Year C.

"BELOVED: Let no one have contempt for your youth, but set an example for
those who believe, in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity."  ~First
Letter of Saint Paul to Timothy 4:12-16

"You did not anoint my head with oil, but she anointed my feet with
ointment.  So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence, she has
shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little."
~Luke 7:36-50

Saints Andrew Kim Taegon, Paul Chong Hasang and Companions

103 Christians in Korea were martyred during the persecutions of 1839, 1846,
1866-7. Andrew Kim Taegon was the first Korean priest and pastor.  Paul
Hasang was the first lay apostle.  Martyrs included mostly laity, but also
priests and bishops. The Church in Korea grew and was strengthened through
the blood of these holy martyrs. As Saint Andrea Kim Taegon said, "I urge
you to remain steadfast in faith, so that at last we will all reach heaven
and there rejoice together."

St. Andrew Kim Teagon and his Companions gave their lives because of their
love for God and the people they served. Paul reminds people that, no matter
how young or old they were, they should set an example in speech, conduct,
love, faith and purity. The "sinful" woman in today's Gospel anoints Jesus
feet, out of love for him and sorrow for her many sins. Faith in action is
what love is all about.

I pray that today I may not judge others.  I pray that I can show my love
for God by the way I treat those around me.  I count on God's strength to
help me live according to His will.