<MP>Thursday, 20 January 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:21:33 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

October 18th-28th 2010
Join us on this wonderful Pilgrimage to Ireland. A tentative itinerary is at
my Web Site.  The final details are being worked out and there will be a
brochure soon. Visit my Web Site for itinerary information and to sign up
for an e-mail list to receive more information!  www.frpat.com

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Sebastian (257?-288?)
Nothing is historically certain about St. Sebastian except that he was a
Roman martyr, was venerated in Milan even in the time of St. Ambrose and was
buried on the Appian Way, probably near the present Basilica of St.
Sebastian. Devotion to him spread rapidly, and he is mentioned in several
martyrologies as early as a.d. 350. The legend of St. Sebastian is important
in art, and there is a vast iconography. Scholars now agree that a pious
fable has Sebastian entering the Roman army because only there could he
assist the martyrs without arousing suspicion. Finally he was found out,
brought before Emperor Diocletian and delivered to Mauritanian archers to be
shot to death. His body was pierced with arrows, and he was left for dead.
But he was found still alive by those who came to bury him. He recovered,
but refused to flee. One day he took up a position near where the emperor
was to pass. He accosted the emperor, denouncing him for his cruelty to
Christians. This time the sentence of death was carried out. Sebastian was
beaten to death with clubs. HE was buried on the Appian Way, close to the
catacombs that bear his name. For more, follow the link below:

Thus David overcame the Philistine with sling and stone; he struck the
Philistine mortally, and did it without a sword. 1 Samuel 17:32-33, 37,
40-51

He said to the man with the withered hand, "Come up here before us." Then he
said to the Pharisees, "Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than
to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?" ~Mark 3:1-6

Jesus came to help us turn from evil and back to good.  Still many were
resistant.  As human persons we can easily become accustomed to how things
are and now explore possibilities of how things could be.  Sometimes too, we
tend to hold onto our power and resources and keep them from helping others.
Jesus came to show us a better way.

I pray that I may see and live Jesus' better way.  I pray that my power and
resources may not hold me back, and that I may embrace this way with all my
heart.