<MP>Thursday, 20 January 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:55:06 -0500 (CDT)

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

The Church does not schedule Saints on the liturgical calendar for Holy
Week.  If you like, you can click the link below for the Saint scheduled
on the calendar provided this day was not part of Holy Week:

?This day shall be a memorial feast for you, which all your generations
shall celebrate with pilgrimage to the LORD, as a perpetual institution.?
~ Exodus 12:1-8, 11-14

So when he had washed their feet and put his garments back on and reclined
at table again, he said to them, ?Do you realize what I have done for you?
You call me ?teacher? and ?master,? and rightly so, for indeed I am. If I,
therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to
wash one another?s feet. I have given you a model to follow, so that as I
have done for you, you should also do.?  ~ John 13:1-15

As we celebrate Holy Thursday we celebrate priesthood and the Institution
of the Eucharist, as Jesus takes bread and wine, gives it to his disciples
and says "This is my Body," "This is my Blood."  We also read from John's
Gospel where Jesus' sign of service is the washing of His disciples' feet.
 He reminds them and us, "You call me 'teacher' and 'master, and rightly
so, for indeed I am.  If I therefore, the master and teacher, have washed
your feet, you ought to wash one another's feet.  I have given you a model
fo follow, so that I I have done for you, you should also do."

I pray that I may appreciate being able to receive the very  Body and
Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Eucharist.  I pray that I
may follow Jesus' example, who allowed Himself to be broken and poured out
in service to all of us ... and who washed the feet of His disciples.  I
pray that I may wash feet, by meeting the most simple needs of those
around me out of my love for God.