<MP>Thursday, 18 June 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:17:49 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

F A T H E R ' S    D A Y    P A G E

Visit our Father's Day Page for great links, some Father's Day pass-alongs,
a Father's Day Blessing and much more.  You can even create a tie for dad!
Just follow the banner link from:

Venerable Matt Talbot (1856-1925)
Matt can be considered the patron of men and women struggling with
alcoholism. Matt was born in Dublin, where his father worked on the docks
and had a difficult time supporting his family. After a few years of
schooling, Matt obtained work as a messenger for some liquor merchants;
there he began to drink excessively. For 15 years-until he was 30-Matt was
an active alcoholic. One day he decided to take "the pledge" for three
months, make a general confession and begin to attend daily Mass. There is
evidence that Matt's first seven years after taking the pledge were
especially difficult. Avoiding his former drinking places was hard. He began
to pray as intensely as he used to drink. He also tried to pay back people
from whom he had borrowed or stolen money while he was drinking.  For more,
follow the link below:

Did I make a mistake when I humbled myself so that you might be exalted,
because I preached the Gospel of God to you without charge? ~2 Corinthians
11:1-11

"This is how you are to pray: 'Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy
name, thy Kingdom come, thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven. ~Matthew 6:7-15

Jesus calls us to balance in our lives as he teaches the "Lord's Prayer." We
can trust in God's providence as we avoid sin and forgive others.  Today we
celebrate Venerable Matt Talbot who recovered from alcoholism using these
principles in Ireland even before Alcoholics Anonymous was in existence.  We
pray for all those who need balance in their lives and for those struggling
with alcoholism and other addictions.

I pray that I may live the principles of the "Lord's Prayer" in my life.  I
pray that I may avoid evil, make amends and use God's strength to help me
avoid anything that might harm me.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Helen-Ann seeks God's leading to find a loving Christian man to marry and
have as her own husband. Judy asks prayers for her pastor who was injured in
an accident and Sister Mary Joyce who was also injured in a separate
accident. Marilyn asks prayers for a special intention.

Member asks for prayers for self as she is in a deep depression. Susan asks
for prayers for her daughter for a special intention. Jean requests prayers
for God's help regarding the decisions involving her daughter's house. Deb
requests prayers for her brother who was recently diagnosed with stage 4
kidney and lung cancer.