<MP>Thursday, 16 April 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:39:19 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Bernadette Soubirous (1844-1879)
Bernadette Soubirous was born in 1844, the first child of an extremely poor
miller in the town of Lourdes in southern France. The family was living in
the basement of a dilapidated building when on February 11,1858, the Blessed
Virgin Mary appeared to Bernadette in a cave above the banks of the Gave
River near Lourdes. Bernadette, 14 years old, was known as a virtuous girl
though a dull student who had not even made her first Holy Communion. In
poor health, she had suffered from asthma from an early age. There were 18
appearances in all, the final one occurring on the feast of Our Lady of Mt.
Carmel, July 16. Although Bernadette's initial reports provoked skepticism,
her daily visions of "the Lady" brought great crowds of the curious. The
Lady, Bernadette explained, had instructed her to have a chapel built on the
spot of the visions. There the people were to come to wash in and drink of
the water of the spring that had welled up from the very spot where
Bernadette had been instructed to dig.  For more, follow the link below:

As the crippled man who had been cured clung to Peter and John, all the
people hurried in amazement toward them in the portico called "Solomon's
Portico." When Peter saw this, he addressed the people, "You children of
Israel, why are you amazed at this, and why do you look so intently at us as
if we had made him walk by our own power or piety? ~Acts 3:11-26

While they were still speaking about this, he stood in their midst and said
to them, "Peace be with you." But they were startled and terrified and
thought that they were seeing a ghost. Then he said to them, "Why are you
troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts? Look at my hands and my
feet, that it is I myself. Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have
flesh and bones as you can see I have." ~Luke 24:35-48

Jesus makes sure His disciples see and believe.  He wants them to know they
don't work wonders on their own, but that Jesus works through them. More and
more come to believe on the strength of the testimony of the disciples.

I pray that I may believe more and more strongly.  I pray that others may be
stronger in their faith too, through knowing me.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Diane asks prayers for her father who is a recovering alcoholic that he may
continue to be strong and not go back to drinking. Connie requests guidance
from the Holy Spirit to make important recessions about plans for the
future. Nancy from PA requests prayers for she and her husband as they
celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary on Saturday that God will continue
to bless their marriage and give them many more happy years together. Anne
Marie asks for prayers for the successful surgical removal of a tumour from
his skull on Thursday.

A wife asks prayers for her husband's prostate test results to be favorable
on Monday April 20. Betty asks prayers for two intentions. DJ asks for
prayers for some possibly very serious health issues. Lou Ann is asking for
prayers for family members that have lost their jobs.