<MP>Thursday, 13 August 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 18:23:26 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Sts. Pontian and Hippolytus (d. 235)
Two men died for the faith after harsh treatment and exhaustion in the mines
of Sardinia. One had been pope for five years, the other an antipope for 18.
They died reconciled. Pontian. Pontian was a Roman who served as pope from
230 to 235. During his reign he held a synod which confirmed the
excommunication of the great theologian Origen in Alexandria. Pontian was
banished to exile by the Roman emperor in 235, and resigned so that a
successor could be elected in Rome. He was sent to the "unhealthy" island of
Sardinia, where he died of harsh treatment in 235. With him was Hippolytus
(see below) with whom he was reconciled. The bodies of both martyrs were
brought back to Rome and buried with solemn rites as martyrs.  For more,
follow the link below:

Thus the people crossed over opposite Jericho. While all Israel crossed over
on dry ground, the priests carrying the ark of the covenant of the LORD
remained motionless on dry ground in the bed of the Jordan until the whole
nation had completed the passage. ~Joshua 3:7-10a, 11, 13-17

Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers until he should
pay back the whole debt. So will my heavenly Father do to you, unless each
of you forgives his brother from his heart. ~Matthew 18:21-19:1

God calls us to be patient and forgiving.  If we're not, the same will be
give us.  We can strive to forgive those who have harmed us from our heart.

I pray that I may be patient and forgiving.  I pray that I may forgive my
brother or sister from my heart.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Jane asks prayers for her daughter and son-in-law that their adoption
paperwork will be approved soon. A member asks prayers for her husband, that
he will find renewed satisfaction from his job, and for God's help and
guidance with their financial situation. Barb asks for prayers for her
father who had a cardiac arrest yesterday and is having a defibrillator
pacemaker put in today.

Maria requests prayer for her husband to come back to the Catholic faith.
Barb ask for prayers for daughter for a special intention. Cherie requests
prayers for her daughter who will perform at the VISA Championships, that
she has a wonderful performance.

A member requests prayers for her sister in law, that she finds the
financial help she needs to get through her separation and eventual divorce.
Diane, a member asks prayers for her sister, her husband, their daughter and
son-in-law who are having serious financial crisis. Patti requests prayers
for someone who is having major surgery.

Bill asks for prayers of Thanksgiving to God for the great improvement of
his ill sister,  and his own health improvement. Marge requests prayers for
all those seeking employment, especially her daughter. Nancy requests
prayers for God's help for her widowed friend who desperately needs a job.

Kris asks prayers for her son who is in rehab for drug abuse, that the Holy
Spirit will be with him to guide and protect him. Kevin asks your prayer for
a dear friend's daughter that she may find employment with caring employer
and find some financial relief as well as physical relief.