<MP>Thursday, 11 June 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:12:05 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Barnabas
Barnabas, a Jew of Cyprus, comes as close as anyone outside the Twelve to
being a full-fledged apostle. He was closely associated with St. Paul (he
introduced Paul to Peter and the other apostles) and served as a kind of
mediator between the former persecutor and the still suspicious Jewish
Christians. When a Christian community developed at Antioch, Barnabas was
sent as the official representative of the Church of Jerusalem to
incorporate them into the fold. He and Paul instructed in Antioch for a
year, after which they took relief contributions to Jerusalem.  For more,
follow the link below:

Then he went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he had found him he
brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the Church and taught
a large number of people, and it was in Antioch that the disciples were
first called Christians. ~Acts 11:21b-26; 13:1-3

Jesus said to his disciples: "I tell you, unless your righteousness
surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees,
you will not enter into the Kingdom of heaven. ~Matthew 5:20-26

Barnabas was a real insider, even introducing Peter to Paul.  Even though he
was involved in controversy in the early Church, he was good at bringing
different sides together.  Many of them became Christians.  He wasn't afraid
to do or say what the Lord wanted.

I pray that I may be a person of courage.  I pray that I may be a good
disciples, following God's call in my life, wherever it leads me.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Rose asks for prayers for her son who was retrenched from his workplace,
that he may find employment real soon. Janet asks prayers for a special
intention. Mary asks prayers for a successful cataract surgery on right eye
6/11.

Peter requests prayer for his wife who will be having hip replacement
surgery on  Thursday June 11th. Susan requests prayers for a friend who lost
his best friend in a senseless motorcycle accident. A member requests
prayers that he will recover from side effects after surgery.

Member asks for prayers for niece and her husband who are separated. Sue
requests special prayers for her husband to find a good job now. A member
asks prayers for all travelers, that they will safely arrive at their
destination.

Angie requests prayers for her uncle who was recently diagnosed with a rare
form of kidney cancer that has spread to his lungs. Nancy from PA requests
prayers for her nephew and his wife who were married on Saturday that they
may have a long and happy marriage filled with God's choicest blessings.
Rose asks prayers for a special intention.

Helen gives praise and thanksgiving to God for passing Nursing Council of
Jamaica licensing examination and she is now a Registered Nurse. Cliff asks
prayers for a favorable outcome to his heart catherization test on Tuesday
June 9th. Barbara asks prayers for several intentions. Vicki asks prayers
for a very special intention for the children of her niece.