<MP>Thursday, 07 May 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 18:32:59 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Blessed Rose Venerini (1656-1728)
Rose was born at Viterbo in Italy, the daughter of a doctor. Following the
death of her fiancé she entered a convent, but soon returned home to care
for her newly widowed mother. Meanwhile, Rose invited the women of the
neighborhood to recite the rosary in her home, forming a sort of sodality
with them. As she looked to her future, Rose, under the spiritual guidance
of a Jesuit priest, became convinced that she was called to become a teacher
in the world rather than a contemplative nun in a convent. Clearly, she made
the right choice: She was a born teacher, and the free school for girls she
opened in 1685 was well received.  For more, follow the link below:

John heralded his coming by proclaiming a baptism of repentance to all the
people of Israel; and as John was completing his course, he would say, 'What
do you suppose that I am? I am not he. Behold, one is coming after me; I am
not worthy to unfasten the sandals of his feet.'  ~Acts 13:13-25

When Jesus had washed the disciples' feet, he said to them: "Amen, amen, I
say to you, no slave is greater than his master
nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you understand this,
blessed are you if you do it. ~John 13:16-20

How important it is for us to be humble. John's job was simply to point the
way to the Messiah.  Jesus washes the disciples' feet and reminds them that
they need to do the same ... care for the very simple needs of those around
them ... all in God's name.

I pray that I may be a humble person.  I pray that I may imitate Jesus'
example and generously meet the most simple needs of those I encounter.