<MP>Thursday, 03 September 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:49:08 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Gregory the Great (540?-604)
Coming events cast their shadows before: Gregory was the prefect of Rome
before he was 30. After five years in office he resigned, founded six
monasteries on his Sicilian estate and became a Benedictine monk in his own
home at Rome. Ordained a priest, he became one of the pope's seven deacons,
and also served six years in the East as papal representative in
Constantinople. He was recalled to become abbot, and at the age of 50 was
elected pope by the clergy and people of Rome. He was direct and firm. He
removed unworthy priests from office, forbade taking money for many
services, emptied the papal treasury to ransom prisoners of the Lombards and
to care for persecuted Jews and the victims of plague and famine. He was
very concerned about the conversion of England, sending 40 monks from his
own monastery. He is known for his reform of the liturgy, for strengthening
respect for doctrine. Whether he was largely responsible for the revision of
"Gregorian" chant is disputed.   For more, follow the link below:

He delivered us from the power of darkness and transferred us to the Kingdom
of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
~Colossians 1:9-14

Jesus said to Simon, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching
men." When they brought their boats to the shore,
they left everything and followed him. ~Luke 5:1-11

It's our job to be evangelizers.  Jesus' disciples were fisherman.  Jesus
shows them that the same skills they used for fishing could be used to
attract people to the Lord.  The gifts we've been given too, can be used to
reach out to others.  As Jesus said to Simon, "Do not be afraid from now on
you will be catching men."

I pray that I may value the gifts God has given me.  I pray that I may reach
out with my gifts and draw more people to the Lord.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Susan asks prayers for a special intention. Jean asks for prayers for her
son-in-law, who lost his job in May, and continues to seek employment.
Colleen asks prayers for her uncle who was recently diagnosed with cancer
and who is set to have surgery to remove his kidney on Sept. 30. Lee asks
for prayers for her sister who has advanced cancer.

Member asks for prayers for our beloved Nation that our leaders may know,
love and obey God and His commandments. A member asks prayer for a special
intention. Rebecca from NJ requests prayers for her cousin and her husband
who are desperately seeking work to support their growing family.