<MP>Thursday, 01 October 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:17:09 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Thérèse of Lisieux (1873-1897)
"I prefer the monotony of obscure sacrifice to all ecstasies. To pick up a
pin for love can convert a soul." These are the words of Theresa of the
Child Jesus, a Carmelite nun called the "Little Flower," who lived a
cloistered life of obscurity in the convent of Lisieux, France. [In
French-speaking areas, she is known as Thérèse of Lisieux.] And her
preference for hidden sacrifice did indeed convert souls. Few saints of God
are more popular than this young nun. Her autobiography, The Story of a
Soul, is read and loved throughout the world. Thérèse Martin entered the
convent at the age of 15 and died in 1897 at the age of 24. Life in a
Carmelite convent is indeed uneventful and consists mainly of prayer and
hard domestic work. But Thérèse possessed that holy insight that redeems the
time, however dull that time may be. She saw in quiet suffering redemptive
suffering, suffering that was indeed her apostolate. Thérèse said she came
to the Carmel convent "to save souls and pray for priests." And shortly
before she died, she wrote: "I want to spend my heaven doing good on earth."
For more, follow the link below:

?Today is holy to the LORD your God. Do not be sad, and do not weep?
~Nehemiah 8:1-4a, 5-6, 7b-12

Whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you,
cure the sick in it and say to them, ?The Kingdom of God is at hand for
you.? Whatever town you enter and they do not receive you, go out into the
streets and say,
?The dust of your town that clings to our feet, even that we shake off
against you.?

God calls us to be evangelizers. We are called to reach out to those who are
farther away from God and the Church and invite them to come closer again.
We are Jesus' disciples these days. We can trust that God will be with us to
help.  And we can pray for the grace to do His work in His way.

I pray that I may know and follow God's call in my life.  I pray that I may
help others to come closer to God and the Church.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Rich asks prayers for several intentions. For a financial break through and
to get a cheap house to rent. Denise asks prayers for her father, who is
undergoing a medical procedure on Friday, that everything goes well.

In thanksgiving for the wondering blessing of obtaining a new job. Lee
requests prayers for herself as she undergoes eye surgery tomorrow. Val asks
prayers for her brother who needs a job so that he can pay his university
fees.

Marge asks prayers for a special intention. Dorothy requests prayers for her
daughter who has the H1N1 virus.