<MP>Sunday, 31 May 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 22:22:19 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Of course, today is Pentecost Sunday.  On the Church calendar it is also:
Visitation
This is a fairly late feast, going back only to the 13th or 14th century. It
was established widely throughout the Church to pray for unity. The present
date of celebration was set in 1969 in order to follow the Annunciation of
the Lord (March 25) and precede the Birthday of John the Baptist (June 24).
Like most feasts of Mary, it is closely connected with Jesus and his saving
work. The more visible actors in the visitation drama (see Luke 1:39-45) are
Mary and Elizabeth. However, Jesus and John the Baptist steal the scene in a
hidden way. Jesus makes John leap with joy-the joy of messianic salvation.
Elizabeth, in turn, is filled with the Holy Spirit and addresses words of
praise to Mary-words that echo down through the ages.  For more, follow the
link below:

Now there were devout Jews from every nation under heaven staying in
Jerusalem. At this sound, they gathered in a large crowd, but they were
confused because each one heard them speaking in his own language. They were
astounded, and in amazement they asked, "Are not all these people who are
speaking Galileans? Then how does each of us hear them in his native
language? ~Acts 2:1-11

As a body is one though it has many parts, and all the parts of the body,
though many, are one body, so also Christ. For in one Spirit we were all
baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons, and
we were all given to drink of one Spirit. ~1 Corinthians 12:3b-7, 12-13

Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so
I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to
them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them,
and whose sins you retain are retained." ~John 20:19-23

I ask your prayers for a good priest friend who died this week, and for his
family and friends. Sharon asks prayers for peace for the husband and family
of someone who died following childbirth. Gen asks prayers that her son
passes his last CFA exam on 6/6.  A member requests prayer for her sons who
are struggling.

Jo Ann requests prayers for special intentions for her son and his family.
Joan asks prayers for a special intention. Helen asks prayers for several
intentions. Melva requests prayers for her 8 year old great niece who is
undergoing chemo and radiation for a brain tumor, that she be strong
throughout the treatment, and that her family will remain strong and
faithful as they support her.

Shannon asks prayers for a special intention. Gloria requests prayers for
her son and her son-in-law. Patrick requests prayers for himself as he has
been diagnosed with diabetes and has a cardiology consult next week, that
the heart test will be OK, that God will spare him and help him get healthy.
A member requests prayers for himself, family and friends who are suffering
from ill health, for comfort and recovery.

Helen-Ann is praying for God's leading to find a loving, faithful Christian
Husband as soon as possible and to be able to have children at age 45 years.
Brian asks for prayer support that he might be relieved of severe and
chronic depression and paranoid traits, that his medicine and holistic
medications might work for him, and that his sleep disorder would fine a
cure with holistically remedies too. Grace asks prayers for a special
intention.

Today we celebrate Pentecost, the coming of the Holy Spirit.  We received
the Spirit in Baptism.  It is strengthened at our Confirmation and useful to
us all the days of our life.  We are called to be always more Christ-like
and less self-centered. As we allow the Spirit to renew us we appreciate
more and more our oneness and the peace the Lord wants us to have.
Self-seeking is replace by self-giving.  We are never alone and are called
to live as members of one Body!

I pray that I may be a person of the Spirit, not of the flesh.  I pray for a
willingness to put the gifts of the Spirit to good use in my life, enriching
the lives of those around me.  I pray that I may experience the peace of
Christ knowing that I am never alone.