<MP>Sunday, 31 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:42:49 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Only ELEVEN seats remain, FOUR from La Crosse.
   10-22 November 2008

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

Sts. Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus
The actions of these two influential Jewish leaders give insight into the
charismatic power of Jesus and his teachings-and the risks that could be
involved in following him. Joseph was a respected, wealthy civic leader who
had become a disciple of Jesus. Following the death of Jesus, Joseph
obtained Jesus' body from Pilate, wrapped it in fine linen and buried it.
For these reasons Joseph is considered the patron saint of funeral directors
and pallbearers. More important is the courage Joseph showed in asking
Pilate for Jesus' body. Jesus was a condemned criminal who had been publicly
executed. According to some legends, Joseph was punished and imprisoned for
such a bold act.  For more, follow the link below:

I say to myself, I will not mention him, I will speak in his name no more.
But then it becomes like fire burning in my heart, imprisoned in my bones; I
grow weary holding it in, I cannot endure it. ~Jeremiah 20:7-9

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny
himself, take up his cross, and follow me.
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life
for my sake will find it. ~Matthew 16:21-27

We enjoy the victories and triumphs of our lives.  We emulate sports heroes,
sometimes forgetting all the work and commitment it takes to become really
good.  We don't like suffering very much at all.  We try to insulate
ourselves from it by having more and more of what the world offers.
Jeremiah is reminded that it is his duty to act as prophet, to tell the
people what they don't want to hear.  Jesus reminds Peter too, not to think
as human beings do, but as God does. If we wish to come after Jesus we must
deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him. When we lose our life for
His sake we will find it.  Our suffering is not an absence of God or a
punishment from God.  God is with us through it all.  Jesus suffered and
died for us.  He rose again in three days in His victory over death.  This
victory is shared with all of us, after we first share in His suffering.

I pray that I may not be seduced by the values of the world.  I pray that I
may think not as human beings do, but as God does.  I pray that I may know
the Lord's presence with me in my times of suffering.  I pray that I may
share in the cross of Jesus, and share His victory as well!