<MP>Sunday, 27 July 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:40:21 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   EARLY SIGN-UP DEADLINE IS AUGUST 2nd!

   SIGN UP & PAY DEPOSIT BY THEN AND SAVE $100!

   Now departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
(JFK)
   *** At least 14 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already
been taken.
   Use the NEW BROCHURE ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

Blessed Antonio Lucci (1682-1752)
Antonio studied with and was a friend of St. Francesco Antonio Fasani, who
after Antonio Lucci's death testified at the diocesan hearings regarding the
holiness of Lucci. Born in Agnone in southern Italy, a city famous for
manufacturing bells and copper crafts, he was given the name Angelo at
Baptism. He attended the local school run by the Conventual Franciscans and
joined them at the age of 16. Antonio completed his studies for the
priesthood in Assisi, where he was ordained in 1705. Further studies led to
a doctorate in theology and appointments as a teacher in Agnone, Ravello and
Naples. He also served as guardian in Naples.  For more, follow the link
below:

Give your servant, therefore, an understanding heart to judge your people
and to distinguish right from wrong. For who is able to govern this vast
people of yours?" ~1 Kings 3:5, 7-12

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls.
When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and
buys it.  ~Matthew 13:44-52

It is easy for us to consider as valuable the things of the world.  Even
though we say we value family and faith we can spend more time and energy on
earning money, buying things, even entertaining ourselves. It takes wisdom
for us to see what will really last.  Solomon, in this weekend's first
reading, seeks an understanding heart, to distinguish between right and
wrong, that me might be a good leader and servant. What is it that we find
valuable?  Do we devote the necessary time and energy to cultivate the
things that will last forever?

I pray that I may be able to distinguish between right and wrong, then
choose the right.  I pray that I may choose the things that last forever,
then devote the time and energy that is required to hold on to them.