<MP>Sunday, 26 October 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:41:50 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Blessed Contardo Ferrini (1859-1902)
Contardo Ferrini was the son of a teacher who went on to become a learned
man himself, one acquainted with some dozen languages. Today he is known as
the patron of universities.
Born in Milan, he received a doctorate in law in Italy and then earned a
scholarship that enabled him to study Roman-Byzantine law in Berlin. As a
renowned legal expert, he taught in various schools of higher education
until he joined the faculty of the University of Pavia, where he was
considered an outstanding authority on Roman law.  For more, follow the link
below:

.=: S C R I P T U R E S   F O R   T H E   D A Y :=.

Thus says the LORD: "You shall not molest or oppress an alien, for you were
once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt.
You shall not wrong any widow or orphan. If ever you wrong them and they cry
out to me, I will surely hear their cry.
My wrath will flare up, and I will kill you with the sword; then your own
wives will be widows, and your children orphans. ~Exodus 20:20-26

He said to him, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart,
with all your soul, and with all your mind.
This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You
shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend
on these two commandments." ~Matthew 22:34-40

Sometimes we can try to do the minimum in living our faith. We can profess
our love for God, as did the scholar of the law in today's Gospel.  He heard
that this is indeed the first commandment.  But Jesus goes on to say, "And
the second is like it, you shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love for
neighbor is expressed in welcoming aliens, caring for widows and orphans,
and giving without expecting repayment as we hear in our first reading from
the Book of Exodus. As we put our faith into action, we strive to walk in
the footsteps of Jesus as Paul does in our second reading to day.  What a
comfort to know that if others follow in our steps, they'll follow in the
humble steps of Jesus as well, and will arrive at the Kingdom of Heaven one
day.

I pray that I may not minimize my faith, but strive to love my neighbor as
myself.  I pray that I may walk in the footsteps of Jesus and, by my
example, help others to do the same.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Marie asks prayers for a dear friend who is a hard worker and is concerned
about being laid-off during these uncertain times. Joyce requests a cancer
free diagnosis for her sister, and a clean biopsy. Member fervently asks for
prayers for our Nation during the upcoming election that we will elect a
candidate that does not endorse abortion.

Jane requests prayers for her niece, that she be completely healed of acute
leukemia. Richard asks God's blessing on the United States of America. Irene
asks prayers guidance and protection for family.