<MP>Sunday, 23 August 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:08:10 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

B A C K    T O    S C H O O L
Our School starts on Monday, 31 August.  This coming weekend we'll bless all
students, teachers, bus drivers, administrators, custodians, lunch room
workers, aides, university presidents, etc.  Visit the Web Site for a parish
blessing and also an individual blessing parents can pray with their
children on the first day of school, and every day if they wish.  I also
include plenty of good links for parents, children and teens.  Just follow
the link from:

St. Rose of Lima (1586-1617)
The first canonized saint of the New World has one characteristic of all
saints-the suffering of opposition-and another characteristic which is more
for admiration than for imitation-excessive practice of mortification.
She was born to parents of Spanish descent in Lima, Peru, at a time when
South America was in its first century of evangelization. She seems to have
taken Catherine of Siena (April 29) as a model, in spite of the objections
and ridicule of parents and friends. The saints have so great a love of God
that what seems bizarre to us, and is indeed sometimes imprudent, is simply
a logical carrying out of a conviction that anything that might endanger a
loving relationship with God must be rooted out. So, because her beauty was
so often admired, Rose used to rub her face with pepper to produce
disfiguring blotches. Later, she wore a thick circlet of silver on her head,
studded on the inside, like a crown of thorns.   For more, follow the link
below:

Joshua addressed all the people: "If it does not please you to serve the
LORD, decide today whom you will serve, the gods your fathers served beyond
the River or the gods of the Amorites in whose country you are now dwelling.
~Joshua 24:1-2a, 15-17, 18b

As a result of this, many of his disciples returned to their former way of
life and no longer accompanied him. Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you
also want to leave?" Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and are
convinced that you are the Holy One of God." ~John 6:60-69

Serving the Lord involves a commitment.  When we receive Holy Communion too,
we become the Body and Blood of Christ.  We are called to serve the needs of
others and to allow ourselves to be broken and poured out in service as
Jesus was.

I pray that I may be a person of commitment.  I pray that I may *become* the
Body and Blood of Christ, serving others as Jesus did.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Sharon requests prayers for the 5/1 SBCT as they soon begin returning from
their year long deployment to Iraq. Bettye and Bernard request prayers that
their grandsons can find part time employment while going to college. Sharon
asks prayers for a special intention.

Roseann asks for prayers that she finds a new home to purchase. Clare asks
prayers for a special intention. Jack & Barbara request prayers for someone
who had brain surgery. Nancy from PA requests prayers for her
sister-in-law's nephew, married and the father of young children, who is in
intensive care following complications from surgery which he had because of
a number of health issues, that God will bless him with a good recovery.

Mary asks prayers for her niece who is in a custody battle with the father
of her child. Rich asks prayers for several intentions. Frieda asks prayers
for two intentions. Mary requests prayers for a seven year old boy who is
currently receiving a liver transplant for successful surgery.  Stan in
Memphis requests prayers for a friend in Appleton, WI, who needs a job.

Ruth is asking for prayers for her son-in-law who was diagnosed with a brain
tumor yesterday. Paul asks prayers for he and his wife, whose marriage is
failing, that the Lord Almighty would bless their marriage with love,
healing and peace. Barbara asks prayers from a woman from church who is
sick.