<MP>Sunday, 18 October 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:14:32 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Here's a great way to help Saint Patrick's Parish and have something to look
forward to all year long. Our Adesse Raffle Calendars offer a prize every
day in 2010 ... from $30 to $500 each day.  Prizes total $16,580.  No more
than 3000 calendars are sold.  If you're interested in helping out, just
follow the banner link from:  www.stpatz.com

St. Luke
Luke wrote one of the major portions of the New Testament, a two-volume work
comprising the third Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles. In the two books
he shows the parallel between the life of Christ and that of the Church. He
is the only Gentile Christian among the Gospel writers. Tradition holds him
to be a native of Antioch, and Paul calls him "our beloved physician"
(Colossians 4:14). His Gospel was probably written between A.D. 70 and 85.
Luke appears in Acts during Paul's second journey, remains at Philippi for
several years until Paul returns from his third journey, accompanies Paul to
Jerusalem and remains near him when he is imprisoned in Caesarea. During
these two years, Luke had time to seek information and interview persons who
had known Jesus. He accompanied Paul on the dangerous journey to Rome where
he was a faithful companion. "Only Luke is with me," Paul writes (2 Timothy
4:11).  For more, follow the link below:

Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you. ~Psalm 33

Jesus summoned them and said to them, "You know that those who are
recognized as rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great
ones make their authority over them felt. But it shall not be so among you.
Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; whoever
wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all. For the Son of Man
did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for
many." ~Mark 10:35-45

We would like to be honored and have accolades.  James and John in today's
Gospel were no different.  They wanted places of honor and fully expected
that they could drink of the cup Jesus was to drink of.  Jesus reminds them
that the greatest must be the servant, and whoever wishes to be first will
be the slave of all.  After all, "The Son of Man did not come to be served
but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."

I pray that I may strive to follow in the footsteps of Jesus, not seeking
honors, but looking for opportunities to serve those around me, all in the
Lord's name.