<MP>Sunday, 18 April 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:28:40 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

Blessed James Oldo (1364-1404)
You've heard rags-to-riches stories. Today, we celebrate the reverse. James
of Oldo was born in 1364, into a well-to-do family near Milan. He married a
woman who, like him, appreciated the comforts that came with wealth. But an
outbreak of plague drove James, his wife and their three children out of
their home and into the countryside. Despite those precautions, two of his
daughters died from the plague, James determined to use whatever time he had
left to build up treasures in heaven and to build God's realm on earth. He
and his wife became Secular Franciscans. James gave up his old lifestyle and
did penance for his sins. He cared for a sick priest, who taught him Latin.
Upon the death of his wife, James himself became a priest. His house was
transformed into a chapel where small groups of people, many of them fellow
Secular Franciscans, came for prayer and support. James focused on caring
for the sick and for prisoners of war. He died in 1404 after contracting a
disease from one of his patients.

The Sanhedrin ordered the apostles to stop speaking in the name of Jesus,
and dismissed them. So they left the presence of the Sanhedrin, rejoicing
that they had been found worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name.
~Acts 5:27-32, 40b-41

Peter was distressed that Jesus had said to him a third time, "Do you love
me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love
you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep. Amen, amen, I say to you, when you
were younger,
you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old,
you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead
you where you do not want to go." ~John 21:1-19 or 21:1-14

We don't like to be mistreated.  Still, Jesus apostles rejoiced "that they
had been found worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name." Their
work would not be easy work. In our Gospel, Peter is told that if he loves
Jesus, he must feed His sheep. They would be persecuted and would die doing
God's will.  But Jesus died on the cross and rose again to bring them
salvation and eternal life with Him. That same promise is ours.

I pray that I may show my love for Jesus by feeding His sheep.  I pray that
I may not be afraid to stand apart from others because of the way I live my
faith.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Gin asks prayers for a special intention. Nancy from PA requests prayers for
a stranger she met when dining out who was to have a bone biopsy today and
she told her she would pray for her and that she have a good outcome with
her tests. Terry asks prayers for a special intention.

Susanne asks prayers for her husband who is ill, to accept his illness and
to find God in his life through his family, and for peace of mind and good
health. Dorothy asks prayers for her sister in CA, that she find living
quarters, and good steady employment.

A Member requests prayers for her Granddaughter who is in second grade and
has been teased, for ADD that she will receive all the she needs from the
school, therapy, etc. Alvina asks prayers for a special intention.

A member requests prayers for her brother and her son who are both looking
for jobs, that God will guide in their search for work, and that they will
not lose faith during this time. A member requests prayers for her cousin
who has an upcoming interview, that she successfully gains employment. Joie
asks prayers for a boy who is 12 years old, and has cancer.

We pray for the victims of the mine explosion and natural disasters. We pray
for those receiving Confirmation and First Communion, especially the second
graders in our CCD Program who will receive First Communion this weekend.