<MP>Sunday, 17 January 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 08:33:28 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Anthony of Egypt (251-356)
The life of Anthony will remind many people of St. Francis of Assisi. At 20,
Anthony was so moved by the Gospel message, "Go, sell what you have, and
give to [the] poor" (Mark 10:21b), that he actually did just that with his
large inheritance. He is different from Francis in that most of Anthony's
life was spent in solitude. He saw the world completely covered with snares,
and gave the Church and the world the witness of solitary asceticism, great
personal mortification and prayer. But no saint is antisocial, and Anthony
drew many people to himself for spiritual healing and guidance. At 54, he
responded to many requests and founded a sort of monastery of scattered
cells. Again like Francis, he had great fear of "stately buildings and
well-laden tables." For more, follow the link below:

No more shall people call you "Forsaken, " or your land "Desolate, " but you
shall be called "My Delight, " and your land "Espoused." ~Isaiah 62:1-5

There was a wedding at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.
Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the wedding. When the wine ran
short, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine." ~John 2:1-11

In today's Gospel Jesus works his first public miracle. Generosity builds on
generosity. We don't become happier because we keep more for ourselves, but
because we open our hands and share with those around us. Chances are we can
see such generosity in our parents and grandparents. Would others be able to
see that quality in us?

I pray that I may be thankful for God's miracles. I pray that I may be a
person of great generosity and know that this is where fulfillment will come
to me.

Keep me in your prayers and know you're remembered in mine as well. May God
continue to draw near to you and those you love and keep you safe!

All the best and God Bless,

Wisconsin State Council Knights of Columbus,
La Crosse Diocesan Chaplain
Fr. Pat's Web Site
Reaching Out
Parish Site