<MP>Sunday, 16 August 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:46:35 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Stephen of Hungary (975-1038)
The Church is universal, but its expression is always affected-for good or
ill-by local culture. There are no "generic" Christians; there are Mexican
Christians, Polish Christians, Filipino Christians. This fact is evident in
the life of Stephen, national hero and spiritual patron of Hungary. Born a
pagan, he was baptized around the age of 10, together with his father, chief
of the Magyars, a group who migrated to the Danube area in the ninth
century. At 20 he married Gisela, sister to the future emperor, St. Henry.
When he succeeded his father, Stephen adopted a policy of Christianization
of the country for both political and religious reasons. He suppressed a
series of revolts by pagan nobles and welded the Magyars into a strong
national group. He sent to Rome to get ecclesiastical organization-and also
to ask the pope to confer the title of king upon him. He was crowned on
Christmas day in 1001.   For more, follow the link below:

 "Let whoever is simple turn in here; To the one who lacks understanding,
she says, Come, eat of my food, and drink of the wine I have mixed! Forsake
foolishness that you may live; advance in the way of understanding."
~Proverbs 9:1-6

This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate
and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever. ~John 6:51-58

Sometimes we are very intelligent, but not too bright.  Today's Scriptures
invite us to deep wisdom, the we may "forsake foolishness," live and advance
in the way of understanding.  We can understand that when we receive Holy
Communion we receive the real and true Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus
Christ.  And we can come to understand that we can eat this bread and live
forever.

I pray that I may forsake foolishness and embrace God's wisdom.  I pray that
I may receive the Eucharist faithfully and look forward to God's gift of
everlasting life.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Sharon asks prayers for her brother who has nasal cancer. Debbie offers
prayers of thanks for her daughter being able to find a home in LA. Marilyn
requests prayers for her grandson, that he return to the Church and mend his
life style.

Debra asks prayers for a special intention. Greg asks prayers for a special
intention. Mike requests prayers for his daughter and all other students
returning to college, that they have safe journeys back to school. Alvina
asks prayers for a special intention.

Cherie request prayers for someone and her group, that they perform good at
finals and make the national team. Mother asks prayers for her son who has
prostate cancer,  has developed a cyst and has a pinched nerve in his neck.
Leila is asking for prayers for a 20 year old young lady who has to have a
pace maker put in this Friday.