<MP>Sunday, 13 September 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:00:28 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. John Chrysostom (d. 407)
The ambiguity and intrigue surrounding John, the great preacher (his name
means "golden-mouthed") from Antioch, are characteristic of the life of any
great man in a capital city. Brought to Constantinople after a dozen years
of priestly service in Syria, John found himself the reluctant victim of an
imperial ruse to make him bishop in the greatest city of the empire.
Ascetic, unimposing but dignified, and troubled by stomach ailments from his
desert days as a monk, John became a bishop under the cloud of imperial
politics.   For more, follow the link below:

See, the Lord GOD is my help; who will prove me wrong? ~Isaiah 50:5-9a

Indeed someone might say, "You have faith and I have works." Demonstrate
your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from
my works. ~James 2:14-18

He summoned the crowd with his disciples and said to them, "Whoever wishes
to come after me must deny himself,
take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will
lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake
and that of the gospel will save it." ~Mark 8:27-35

We can tell that we have true faith when we life good lives filled with good
works. Jesus calls us to deny ourselves, take up our crosses and follow Him.
The Lord is truly our help.  As we draw nearer to Him he can draw ever
nearer to us.

I pray that my faith may be lived out in good works.  I pray that I may take
up my cross each day and follow in Jesus' footsteps.