<MP>Sunday, 13 June 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:51:04 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

H A B E M U S    E P I S C O P U M !
On this the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, our Holy Father, Pope
Benedict XVI, has given to La Crosse a new Shepherd. Bishop William Patrick
Callahan, OFM Conv.,  auxiliary Bishop of Milwaukee, is named the Tenth
Bishop of La Crosse. For more about Bishop Callahan, visit our Diocesan Web
Site: www.dioceseoflacrosse.com. And keep him, the clergy and people of the
Diocese of La Crosse in your prayers!

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0
18-28 October 2010 - $2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse Brochure,
sign-up sheet & links to hotels are now available at the Web Site:

St. Anthony of Padua (1195-1231)
The gospel call to leave everything and follow Christ was the rule of
Anthony's life. Over and over again God called him to something new in his
plan. Every time Anthony responded with renewed zeal and self-sacrificing to
serve his Lord Jesus more completely. His journey as the servant of God
began as a very young man when he decided to join the Augustinians in
Lisbon, giving up a future of wealth and power to be a servant of God.
Later, when the bodies of the first Franciscan martyrs went through the
Portuguese city where he was stationed, he was again filled with an intense
longing to be one of those closest to Jesus himself: those who die for the
Good News. So Anthony entered the Franciscan Order and set out to preach to
the Moors. But an illness prevented him from achieving that goal. He went to
Italy and was stationed in a small hermitage where he spent most of his time
praying, reading the Scriptures and doing menial tasks.

We who know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through
faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus that we may be
justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works
of the law no one will be justified. ~Galatians 2:16, 19-21

So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven because she has shown great
love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little." He said to her,
"Your sins are forgiven." The others at table said to themselves, "Who is
this who even forgives sins?" But he said to the woman, "Your faith has
saved you; go in peace." ~Luke 7:36-8:3 or 7:36-50

Sometimes we can become self-righteous. We can point fingers at others, and
even forget that we're not on the right path ourselves. God forgives, and in
a very particular way forgave a woman known to be a sinner in today's
Gospel. The self-righteous are not forgiven at all, but the woman is told,
"Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

I pray that I may acknowledge that I'm a sinner and turn often to God for
forgiveness.  I pray that I may not point fingers at others, but worry more
about my own attitudes and conduct and strive to follow the way the Lord has
marked out for me.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Marge ask prays for her friend having surgery for breast cancer on
Wednesday. Chris asks prayers for the repose of the soul of Metropolitan
Archbishop Basil Schott of the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church who fell
asleep in the Lord on June 10, 2010. Deb asks prayers for a young woman who
is very ill with cancer and starts her chemo Monday.

Valerie asks for prayers for those dead and missing and their families who
are victims of Arkansas flooding. Ann asks prayers for a special intention.