<MP>Sunday, 11 January 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:29:10 -0600

January 9 & 10
I had a more difficult day yesterday.  I tried very hard to eat  breakfast,
but had nausea and was unable to keep it down. When we went to the Hospital
my white blood cell count was .1 . which is where it needs to be.  Platelets
too, were very low . and today are at 8. I was given two liters of fluids
and told to go home, but to watch my temperature.  I was go call if it got
up to 101.3.  They were fairly sure it would reach that.

I wasn't interested in anything yesterday.  I slept all day simply because I
was lying down.  My caretaker said it was 5:30 and assumed that meant 5:30
in the morning.  We took my temp and it was 101.4.  Bill called Station 94
and they said to bring me in.

I continued to have diarrhea problems and still have that today.  I was very
weak, that's for sure.  So they did vitals, a bazillion blood and other
tests, and then started IV's for hydration and antibiotics as well.  I
imagine cultures will return soon.

People couldn't be nicer or more helpful here.  They say, "You're in the
bottom of the trench," and that's where I need to be. Today I've received
constant IV's, platelets, red  blood cells, antibiotics, etc.

Well, in short, I've been admitted to Methodist Hospital where I'll stay for
several days or even a week. But I'm in a very good and safe place.  70% or
more of transplant patients end up in the hospital.]

I took no interest in anything today, sleeping most of the time . and going
back and for the to the rest room. But at 5 or 5:30 I turned on the news.
That's been OK, but things seem to move awfully fast.

Thanks so much for your precious prayers on my behalf.  They're precious to
me, that's for sure!  Don't stop praying now.  And be assured of my ongoing
prayerful support.  As my constant by-line says:  ~Psalm 46:10 'Be Still and
Know that I am God.'