<MP>Sunday, 10 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 16:53:50 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   *** At least 18 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already
been taken.
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

St. Lawrence (d. 258?)
The esteem in which the Church holds Lawrence is seen in the fact that
today's celebration ranks as a feast. We know very little about his life. He
is one of those whose martyrdom made a deep and lasting impression on the
early Church. Celebration of his feast day spread rapidly.
He was a Roman deacon under Pope St. Sixtus II. Four days after this pope
was put to death, Lawrence and four clerics suffered martyrdom, probably
during the persecution of the Emperor Valerian.  For more, follow the link
below:

After the fire there was a tiny whispering sound. When he heard this, Elijah
hid his face in his cloak and went and stood at the entrance of the cave. ~1
Kings 19:9a, 11-13a

Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus. But
when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened; and, beginning to
sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus stretched out his
hand and caught Peter, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you
doubt?"  ~Matthew 14:22-33

Sometimes we become so accustomed to the noise and distraction of life that
we miss the quiet things that are really the best life has to offer.  We can
immerse ourselves in video games, the internet and much more while our
family members are left out almost completely. Our relationship with God
suffers as we try to do things on our own and don't spend much time at all
in prayer. And we begin to falter ... because things seem to be going well
... or because things are falling apart.  Peter in today's Gospel falters,
even though Jesus tells him to walk on the water. Peter realizes he cannot
do this.  The lesson is, that even though Peter cannot do it on his own, he
can do it with God's help.

I pray that I may slow down and quiet down so I can hear the gentle voice of
God.  I pray that I may give more attention to those who love me.  I pray
too, that I may realize that I can do great things with God's help.  I pray
that I may not falter, but use my faith to spur me on to do great things for
God and others.